Single Wide


Stella sent the kids to Grandma's this weekend so we had a night on the town last night. She knew I wanted to hit Harry's Country Club so I could try the new Boulevard Single Wide IPA and she's in love with the $10 sangria pitcher on the happy hour. So we made plans to meet up with Wes Port about 4:30 at Harry's. I got to the bar and was the first one there so I sat down in my favorite spot at the bar, to the immediate right of the far row of taps. The friendly bartender greeted me and asked what he could get me. I did not, as is my want, inquire about specials. Oh no, I was here for the Single Wide. I believe that I was more excited to purchase a Single Wide than anyone in history.

The friendly bartender offered no comment or inquiry into my purchase, which surprised me a tad. As he pulled the tap handle, I could smell the hops. As he brought the pint glass over I thought I had been transported to a pine forest in Switzerland. The Single Wide is a beautiful light color that looked an awful lot like a Boulevard Pale Ale (it was pretty dark in Harry's so I don't have great descriptors for the color, quite frankly I don't really care too much). I had seen earlier in the day a comment something to the effect of 'it's like brushing your teeth with a hop'. It had a ton of hop bitterness and didn't have any sweet balance, yet it was still quite enjoyable. But it did leave a bad taste at the back of my throat that wouldn't go away no matter how much I drank it. Overall, it may have been just a little too hoppy.

When Wes got to the bar he sat down and ordered a Single Wide. I think his impression was the same as mine, a fine beer with a lot of hops, but not one our favorites. It's a good addition to the Boulevard family of fine products and fills a void from their offerings. I think over the summer or with a plate of tacos, I might really enjoy this beer and rave about it. But on a mild winter day, it didn't blow me out of the water. Neither of us ordered another the rest of the night (and a long night it was, more to come on that though). Go out, give it a try and let us know what you think.

I've started to compile a little list of bars that have the Single Wide on tap, this is not an exhaustive list.
Jaywalkers
Harry's Country Club
Firefly Lounge
Barley's Brewhaus
O'Dowds
Pizza 51
Waldo Pizza

Other Popular Posts on KC Beer Blog