It's true, it's true, no more Saison-Brett for you!

The vertical tasting of Saison-Brett 2013-2017 at the Myces Plantation
After several breweries closing in the KC market in 2018, I was truly looking for a fresh start in 2019. As I celebrated New Year’s 2019 with a Saison-Brett toast, I had dreams that this would finally be the year of Tank 7 and Saison-Brett cans. I had been planning this moment for the last decade, and with Boulevard’s canning line fully up and running for the entirety of 2019, I had a reason for optimism. Everyone knows the benefits of canned beer, but I really just wanted to teach people how to properly shotgun a Tank 7 and Saison-Brett on my annual float trip. Then the Mother of all Bombs was dropped on me and BLVD shattered my dreams like Golddust from WWE. Boulevard will NOT be brewing Saison-Brett in 2019. This is not a typo. I repeat this is not a typo.

My older brother sent an email asking BLVD about Saison-Brett in 2019 and this was their exact response. "Hi Mr. Myces, it is not currently on the release schedule for 2019, but it is not a permanent removal by any means. We have a bunch of other limited releases lined up for this year, including a number of killer new beers.” (His name was changed to protect his identity)

I knew the rumors were circulating, but I just dismissed them like most urban legends and Missouri Sasquatch sightings. Why would they stop brewing the best beer ever made? I had my name legally changed to honor this beer and then they ripped my heart out, stomped on it, and spit on my carcass. Words cannot describe the feelings of guilt and remorse, I feel as I am writing this blogpost. Luckily I have an abundance of Saison-Brett in my basement, but it won’t last forever.

Hopefully this email was just a cruel hoax and Saison-Brett will magically appear in 2019, but I have my doubts. I realize that Brettanomyces is extremely difficult to brew with and can easily contaminate an entire brewhouse, but Boulevard if you are reading, please reconsider. I don’t want to have to start a letter writing campaign, organize a picket line, or stage a sit-in at the beer hall, but desperate times require desperate measures.

Wait a minute, who am I kidding, do you actually think me and my friends could sit in at the beer hall and not drink? Sadly, I will just accept my fate and hope my Saison-Brett cache will hold up until it is resurrected, and with any luck they will revive funkier pumpkin and dry stout along with it. Until then I guess I’ll just have to rely on Crane brewing to get my Brettanomyces fix.

Cheers,
The blogger formerly known as Brett A. Myces

Other Popular Posts on KC Beer Blog