Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Beer Breakfast

I'm not much of one for a daytime beer and especially not a breakfast beer. But, since I started running in the mornings, it has crossed my mind to drink a beer to replenish myself. For some reason, probably the nutritional value, a nice malty beer sounds really wonderful as I take off my running shoes. And since I never eat breakfast  I always end up eating lunch around 11 because I can't wait any longer.

I worry that a breakfast beer will only make me tired for the rest of the day, I don't drink a beer with lunch for that reason, it just ruins an afternoon. But, if I were to make a breakfast beer a reality, which beer would be good for it?


The Wall Street Journal attempted to answer that question this weekend and comes up with a pretty good list and surprisingly 4 of the 5 they chose are available in town. Rogue Chipotle Ale, Left Hand Milk Stout, Hitachino Nest White Ale and Founders Breakfast Stout can all be had at your leisure (except Breakfast Stout which is a seasonal, Canadian Breakfast Stout might be ideal and it's being bottled this year to be available sometime in mid to late October) and the fifth, Firestone Walker Double Barrel Ale could be available within a year or so.

I don't have much to disagree with on their list, but I could add, some Bully Porter, Bob's 47, Sam Adams Octoberfest, Great Divide Hoss and St. Bridget's Porter. All have relatively low alcohol and would be particularly good on one of those crisp 55 degree mornings after a good couple mile run. I don't think I'll ever pull the trigger on it, just sayin'.

10 comments:

  1. Where might one find the Hitachino White Ale? It's one of my favorite beers ever, but I've been having a great deal of trouble finding it lately...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nick, your issues with finding White Ale were related to the disasters in Japan. Hitachino took it upon themselves to provide safe drinking water rather than brew beer. It should be showing up in stores more often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As for breakfast beers, it's all about Wheach. It's like a beer bellini.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My ideal breakfast beer is a coffee oatmeal stout or coffee brown porter of less than 4.5% abv.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a fan of the HopMosa. Just substitute a nice IPA for the champagne.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Chimpotle: Wow. I suppose I can't argue with that at all. How wonderful of them.

    Thanks for the help!

    Related question: I'm from Lawrence, but recently moved to KC, MO - what are the best liquor stores around for beer variety? Gomer's Midtown?

    ReplyDelete
  7. HopMosa - I've seen a lot of posts using Nebraska's Apricot Au Poivre Saison. Sounds good to me...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nick,
    Gomer's Midtown does a nice job and has helpful staff. If you're farther south, Royal at 103rd and State Line has an outstanding selection and a great beer manager (Brad). Better yet, he tweets/facebooks beers as they come in so you'll know when they're available. Gomer's South is solid as well, and they often tweet the special release stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This beer: http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/1809-berliner-style-weisse/72316/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I recommend Tommyknocker Maple Nut Brown Ale for breakfast. The stuff is so mapley and sweet that it's hard to finish drinking it, but I found a good use for it - pour it into pancake mix and also heat it up in a sauce pan with maple syrup to pour on pancakes. That's how I recommend it be consumed. I'm going to have some now - Yum :^)

    ReplyDelete