Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Modus Hoperandi

A couple of weeks ago I was at Tipsy's, perhaps the best liquor store in JoCo, looking lost in front of the beer coolers. I was looking for something new, anything and that's when I found the Hop Czar. While I was standing there, one of Tipsy's helpful staff recommended a beer I'd never seen nor heard of, Modus Hoperandi from Ska Brewing. I'd never had anything from Ska mostly because it reminded me of a girl I dated in 1997 that was really into ska music. I prefer to not remember her. I didn't pick up the Modus Hoperandi that night but I got a sixer a couple of nights later.

Modus Hoperandi comes in cans unlike everything else from Ska (update: Ska also cans an ESB). When I first tried it I poured it in a glass, the way a beer should be enjoyed, and I really loved it. I almost wrote a review while I was drinking my first one which rarely, if ever, happens. I decided I wanted to drink one from the can and maybe do a review where I could recommend it for tailgating for those that would subject themselves to Royals baseball in the spring. By the time I got around to drinking it from the can (it's nearly as good from the can as poured in a glass) I had been to a couple of smaller liquor stores in JoCo with much smaller beer selections than Tipsy's and they both carried the Modus Hoperandi and neither carried Schlafly No. 15 (I use the presence of No. 15 as a judge to how good the beer buyer is for a liquor store).

Why would a beer which comes in cans be carried in such a wide array of liquor stores in Kansas? Not only that, but why is Modus Hoperandi the only beer from Ska carried in those liquor stores? It just didn't make sense so I did some checking around and it turns out that a salesman from one of KC's beer distributors really liked Modus Hoperandi and was pushing it hard on smaller liquor stores. So, if you're going to a small liquor store and you see something that sticks out like a piece of black, volcanic glass that has no earthly business in a Maine hayfield, it may be just as valuable as what Red found under that rock in Shawshank. Only in this case Tobias, the salesman, is the one who buried it and not Andy Dufresne.

13 comments:

  1. "Modus Hoperandi comes in cans unlike everything else from Ska."

    I've had the ESB from Ska (also comes in a can). It has been a while, but I remember not caring for it. However, it gets a B/Good rating on BA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is the ESB available in the KC area? I haven't seen it, but I don't notice a lot from Ska so I definitely could have missed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got to visit Ska in Durango last summer; saw their canning line in action. It appeared that they were canning most of their beers now, including True Blonde (their website doesn't indicate this). They also have some beers in 750 mL bottles, including "Decadent", an Imperial IPA--which I thought was too sweet. Modus Hoperandi is my favorite; I'd only drink it from a glass--to appreciate that wonderful hop aroma.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had Ska's red as well, and it was pretty boring. I'll have to try the Modus some time. I've seen the ESB in KC, but I can't remember where...probably Gomer's Lenexa.

    Off topic, but: is it me, or has Gomer's selection shrunk pretty significantly?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, ESB is available locally. I think I got it at Lukas on 119th and I got it in a build-your-own 6-pack (low-rent beers I didn't want to commit to a whole 6-pack of).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mike Z., I've totally missed the ESB in cans. Sorry for the incorrect info, I've updated the post to reflect this.

    JJS, I haven't been to Gomer's Lenexa since before Christmas. I like Tipsy's so much more that I'm not willing to go the little extra distance to go to Gomer's.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've seen and bought the ESB and True Blonde from Rimann Liquor's in PV... cans that is. Last year they featured Ska as part of their Beer Club email and I picked up a 6er of cans in each.

    I have also seen the Modus at Rimann as well.

    In the last 6 months the PV store has really expanded their selection of beers, including the addition of a 3 door cooler at the front of the store exclusively for large format bottles and special editions brews.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've seen ESB and Modus around... I think the last time was Jensen's in Lawrence.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not going to go back in the comments to see what everyone said. I remember seeing perhaps 3 different canned options from Ska at Gomer's Lenexa months ago. As for having Ska and not Schlafly, it seems to me that Kansas stores give a lot more play to Colorado breweries (for good reason).

    ReplyDelete
  10. From Ska I've only had cans. The last was True Blonde Ale.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Been having this for the past few months and it's pretty good. Very hoppy, piny, resiny. The True Blonde is pretty decent, more of an alternative to lawnmower beer. The double IPA in the bottles is good, but very sweet. Not a bad flavor overall, though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting - I see True Blonde on a more consistent basis than I do Modus Hoperandi.

    I think it's a pretty quality IPA - reviewed it awhile back.

    And you're right - it's nearly as good out of the can.

    - Jameson
    BeerGenius.net

    ReplyDelete
  13. Decadent is a powerful imperial IPA in bombers and on tap recently at Barley's and at Llywellyn's. I prefer the lighter Modus Hoperandi, as I can consume a couple! It too has been on tap at Barley's in OP. I'll venture over yonder tonight to see what else may be on tap.

    ReplyDelete