Monday, April 20, 2009

Big Sky Kansas


I just came home with a sixer of Big Sky IPA that I bought in Kansas. Apparently Big Sky Brewing has added Kansas to its distribution. I'm drinking the IPA right now and am quite impressed. It's a wonderful copper color and has the floral piney smell I'm looking for in an IPA. It's wonderfully balanced with a good hop bite but an appropriate amount of sweetness to round out the sharp bite. Overall, I think this is going to be one of my favorite IPA's.

I didn't buy the Big Sky Moose Drool, which I think is Big Sky's flagship beer, but Tipsy's had it. I've had it before at my fantasy football draft a couple of years ago. One of my friends stocks up on Moose Drool whenever he makes a trip to his native North Dakota. I really liked the Moose Drool that I had. It's a brown ale that's well worth trying. There are better brown ales around but Moose Drool is definitely worth your time and dime.

7 comments:

  1. On the topic of new distribution, apparently Boulevard has started distributing to Colorado within the past few months. This is absolutley amazing, since going to CSU in Fort Collins, I can now spend beautiful Colorado spring days drinking at both New Belgium and Odell Brewery's and then go home and finish the night of with some amazing Boulevard. Everyone that I've drank Boulevard with loves it, even with their extreme bias towards New Belgium. I figured that I would just throw this out, just incase no one new about their new distribution to CO. Continue the great work on the blog, I thoroughly enjoy it...especially being from KC...this could be the year of the Royals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I picked up a 6 of Moose Drool brown at Hy-Vee in Missouri this past weekend, and tried my first one last night. Really balanced, and a little lighter than most browns, it's a superb beer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moose Drool holds a special place in my heart. One of my first trips with my fiancee was to her neck of the woods, the Boundary Waters in Northern MN. On what was supposed to be our last day of canoeing and camping, a nasty storm stranded us, and we had to park our canoe and set up an emergency camp. We both had our minds set on getting out of there and our hearts were broken. The next day we paddled like we were possessed and got to Trail Center for a massive cheeseburger and some Moose Drool. It's a good beer that was made 10 times better by the circumstances.

    I think it's a seasonal, but their Slow Elk Oatmeal Stout is also mighty tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, I can't wait to try this, sounds delish! hey, you going to the beerfest in Parkville next weekend?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just saw the Big Sky in MO the other day.

    Everybody loves Moose Drool, good beer to get for a mixed crowd.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Flying Saucer has Moose Drool on tap. I had a pint and really thought it was an excellent beer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you happen to notice the quotes under the bottle caps? Pretty funny stuff.

    Picked up the IPA at Hy-Vee on State & 79th.

    ReplyDelete