Smoking Ban Death Watch

The KC Guy was kind enough to compile a death watch list of bars that will be in trouble if the smoking ban eventually goes into effect. I may have in the past linked to Scoot Utopia's list of the same death watch, but, like Harry Doyle, I can't find it. So, I'm going to steal their idea and come up with a list of my own. One caveat, I'm leaving The Stables off my list because I think it was well on its way to closing anyway.

1. Zoo Bar - This is a great dive bar where young single people, the kind that would have been depicted in the movie "200 Cigarettes", go to smoke some butts before they smoke some butts.

2. The Brick - I'd like to think that The Brick can survive in a non-smoking environment, but I'm unsure. The fact that they have better than average food and are a safe distance away from the douches at the Power and Light could keep them safe, but it's just not very safe to smoke outside that far south on McGee.

3. River Market Brewery - I'm not sure I'll miss this place either, but every time I've been there in the past 2 years, I'm the only one who wasn't sucking down a heater.

4. The Quaff - Air with extra flavor flows out of this place like it does out of Spicoli's van.

5. The Peanut at 50th and Main - The chicken wings are going to kill off all The Peanut's regulars long before the cigarette smokers die. So if there aren't any smokers grabbing a drink, there won't be anyone left to frequent this place.

6. Charlie Hooper's - This great Brookside bar is a great place to go for those just out of college, single and not a full fledged douche. But, these are the types of people who are more likely to go somewhere they can smoke so they won't be able to go to Hooper's.

Great job KC, you have really enhanced the competitive position of corporate bars and state sponsored bars (Power and Light). I hope that all of these bars are replaced by mediocrities like the Fox & Hound and Chotchkie's and we can reminisce about the greatness of some air with flavor.

Other Popular Posts on KC Beer Blog