Manhattan Brewing Company! Great beer in a great town.

Another guest blog, from K.E. Myces.  As he mentions, I've been slacking a bit on the blog over the summer since there haven't been many breweries to visit and I'm training for a 340 mile Canoe Race, but am hoping to get back on the wagon in a few weeks!

Beer and menu from Manhattan Brewing
K. E. Myces here. Brett Myecs has been training for the MR340 (River canoe race from KC to STL), so he is on hiatus from breweries and craft beer until August. 

Manhattan Brewing Company located in downtown Manhattan, KS opened their doors last week. The three owners have a lot of years in the beer industry, and decided it was time to venture out on their own. Manhattan is LUCKY they did!

Space: The brewery is absolutely gorgeous. My wife was impressed by the interior design. My favorite piece was the hop inspired light! This is a classy place, a perfect date night spot!

The aforementioned Hop light

Bar snacks: We had the Buffalo Stampede and Key Lime Crunch bar snacks. I enjoyed the subtle heat of the Buffalo Stampede, but the key lime was a fantastic desert themed snack. You received a large serving, so a great deal overall. See the photo of the menu for all the snack options!
The full Menu
Beer: Each week they have added new beers to the line up! My favorite has been the Lemon Saison: crisp, lemony goodness with the saison flavor balancing out the citrus. At 7.1% you have to be careful because it drinks like a 5% beer. My buddy Sean said that his wife drank it in 5 minutes on an empty stomach. She learned her lesson there!

The peachy wheat uses grungiest hops to get it a peach flavor and a nice wheat beer for summer. I really appreciated that it was served on a nitro tap. They will rotate the nitro tap, but hope to have beers that not usually on nitro highlighted there. I am excited for their next nitro offering because I love having a beer on nitro that is traditionally served on CO2.

The Brut Porter was a close 2nd favorite beer, and I think will be my favorite when we get cool fall days. I prefer a nice dry stout or porter to a sweet, lactose stout/porter. Manhattan Brewing really hit their first porter out of the park. Crisp with a dry bite and the malty goodness. I highly recommend this!
The Brut Porter
The Tasty IPA and The Duke of MHK (British Strong Ale) were great as well, but I only had a taster of those on my first trip. I am anxious to get back and have a full pour.

This week they have introduced a Polyester Pigeon - 9.3% Belgian Tripel. I can’t wait to get in to try it. You will have to check out the facebook page (Manhattan Brewing Company - @manhattanbrewing) to find out more details of their newest offerings.

Non-Beer: They plan to offer mixed drinks and wine soon (if not already). Ask them. Their most popular non-beer is the house made 14% red sangria. My best buddy’s wife Erin is a sangria connoisseur, and she rated it as some of the best in town. My wife gave it two thumbs up too!

Safety: Gotta throw COVID precautions in. They are taking customer safety with the utmost importance. Employees are masking up, social distancing tables, offering touchless payment. Please wear your mask when you come in, and take it off to enjoy some cold brews. If you are sick, stay home. These guys worked hard to start a fantastic brewery in Manhattan and the Flint Hills Region, so stay home if you are sick and wear a mask if you are out and about!

Swag: They have awesome purple t-shrits, stickers for the beer fridge, and koozies.

To Go: You can order online and they will have your crowler ready to go when you pick it up if you are not ready for a dine in experience yet!

Overall: The owners (see their website for details) have really impressed me with their brewery. I can’t say enough good things about their beers, you will just have to make the trip to try them. Their beer is a great addition to the Manhattan community. We are sooo glad they put in the all the hard work to make a dream a reality.

I Spy: Look for dinosaurs hiding around the brewery!

In a few weeks, I hope to post an update and a proposed mini-beer trip for those who want to travel into the Flint Hills!

Stay safe and wear a mask.

Cheers, 
K. E. Myces











Other Popular Posts on KC Beer Blog