Flavor of the Week

Tonight we tasted Surfrider American Pale Ale from The Dudes' Brewing Company. I'm going to be honest. After a hard day at work, my brain is fried, and instead of practicing my usual beer purchasing procedure, I just grab a random brewery's version of my go-to formula: Pale Ale.

  tenor



I did a little research on the year this beer was created, but couldn't find an exact date. I couldn't find any information describing the aforementioned suds, before 2015, so I think this is a safe estimate for the year it was introduced to this world.  The reason I chose this particular pale ale is because of the mood I was in. If I was in my car at that particular moment, I would have thrown on a recognizable Bob Marley song with the windows down. The can art pretty much summed up a visual representation of that mood, so I went for it.


  tenor_1


I did a quick google search about the brewery to gain more knowledge about what they stood for. They have passion for the cleanliness of the world's oceans and the beaches that lead you into them. To help that passion, they donate a portion of their sales to preserving these areas.



Beer Attributes


Style: American Pale Ale (APA)
Alcohol: 5.2% ABV
Release: Rotating Availability
How hard it is to find: Very Easy
Approx. Price: $2.25/12 oz.

Beer Rating


We use a 5 point scale here at the blog, similar to the BJCP method or Untappd. We break our scores down into five separate categories and judge independently for each. Here's what we thought of the beer.

Aroma: 0.75/1.5
Flavor: 0.7/1.5
Texture: 0.2/0.5
Appearance: 0.5/0.5
Balance: 0.5/1.0

Total Score: 2.65/5.0

Thoughts on the Beer

I got a lot of grapefuit, lemon, orange smells, and the taste was congruent, but not overpowering. It had a very carbonated mouthfeel with a very absinthian aftertaste. This beer had a tinny bitterness to it, which is what made it not the best pale ale I've tried.

Overall: This was a perfect beer for my mood. I was tired, a little fried from work, but I wanted to try something new. I relied on my eagerness for that and combined that with the cool artwork coinciding with my mood. The beer didn't blow me away, but I definitely think it is worth trying to form your own opinion.


Other Popular Posts on KC Beer Blog