Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Two Jokers Day

Boulevard Two Jokers bottles are hitting KC store shelves today. It's been out on draft for a couple of weeks now (note to restauranteurs and bars, get this on tap and push it to your customers, they're going to love it). In the past, Two Jokers has been a one and done beer for me, meaning I get a bottle when it comes out, have it, mildly enjoy it and move on. But, it's been reformulated a little this year increasing the acidity and  blending 75% regular version with 25% of a sour version. Now, Two Jokers has become my go to order when I see it on tap. It's gone from being a somewhat forgettable beer for me, to one of my favorite Boulevard beers. The sour really adds a wonderful bit of complexity to Two Jokers, it's a little more refreshing in this hot weather and it's simply one of the better summer beers you're going to be able to buy.

If you've had Two Jokers before and didn't think much of it, give it another try. It should be pretty easy to find around town as every store that carries the Smokestack series from Boulevard should have quite a bit of Two Jokers. Also something I've apparently been too dense to notice in year's past, the bottle art always just looked like a tulip of beer to me. But, it's also a picture of 2 jesters if you look at it right. Get a bottle tonight, open it up and do some deck sitting (if you're in Olathe do some driveway sitting) and enjoy some Two Jokers, you're not going to do much better.

Disclosure: I did receive a bottle of Two Jokers from a source interested in selling more Two Jokers. It did not affect my review but you can be the judge of that. I have purchased at least 3 glasses of Two Jokers on tap but I can't actually prove it.

16 comments:

  1. I thought I read on BLVD's Facebook page that they are doing 4 packs this year, would be a welcome addition to the standard 4 pack offerings. I wish they'd do this across the board.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No on the 4 packs. This is a good thing because I would drink it all the time if I could go 12 oz. at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can we expect the normal range of prices from 6.99 to 15.99, or is it going to be a bit more controlled like Imperial Stout was?

    Also, thank you for not encouraging Overland Parkers to driveway sit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two Jokers is my least favorite of the Smokestacks, so I wasn't too excited about this until I read about the new formula. I will definitely give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barry, it should be $7-$8 a bottle. Barleywhiner, you're not going to regret it, much better this year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, looking back I think I misread a post about double-wide 4 packs...damn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did some of these bottles sneak out early? I picked up a bottle a couple weeks ago at the Barry Road Hy-Vee of all places, and it was definitely labeled as being from a 2011 batch...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm in the same position as barleywhiner - found it too sweet/unbalanced in the past. Definitely looking forward to having some of this batch. Tho I'm not sure it'll have success pushing tank 7 & saison-brett out of my "favorite boulevard beers ever" ranking.

    Did you have a preference of bottle v tap?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wort, I liked it on draft best but there wasn't much different. With the Smokestack big bottles I spend most of my evening psyching myself up to open the bottle and then nursing my opening hand back to health while I drink. But, my bottle of Two Jokers opened easily and I enjoyed it quite a bit but those bottles get a little too carbonated sometimes. I almost always prefer Boulevard on draft. And this doesn't push the two saisons off the perch, but it does come closer than I would have believed.

    Anonymous, I don't know how you got a bottle so early, I don't even think they were at the distributor warehouse until last Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well I found 2011 Sasion Brett today, figured that would be a bigger release (for beer dorks) then 2 jokers. So I was shocked not to hear about it. At the KCBeer fest this weekend there wasn't even a release date.

    ReplyDelete
  11. James, where did you find such a treasure. It shouldn't be out until at least next week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous from earlier, A couple of stores up north got theirs a couple of weeks earlier because of a glitch with the distributor.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I posted it on ontap, but in Lawrence at Cork & Barrel on 23rd. 11.49. Lots were on hold but I think there were still a couple cases left.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the post--I am one of those people who tried Two Jokers in the past and thought it lackluster, not up to snuff for a Smokestack beer. I'll give it another shot.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks, Bull. Good to know I'm not going crazy.
    -Anon from up North

    ReplyDelete
  16. I gotta say, I was really disappointed in the new Two Jokers. I liked the old version well enough -- it was a good beer. But after reading this I was very excited about the new and improved version.

    But it's just new, not improved.

    It's way too sour-tasting to really enjoy drinking much more than 1/2 a glass of beer. And the sour brings out a lot more of the lemon flavor -- too much so for my tastes.

    I'm really disappointed in this one -- but at least I have ZON to go back to for summer drinking...

    ReplyDelete