Thursday, February 17, 2011

Found the Founders

Sometimes you just write off a brewery as not appealing to you. You try a couple of their beers, they don't quite click for you and you just don't go back for more. For me, Founders was a written off brewery. When they first came to Missouri I tried a couple of their brews, including the Dirty Bastard and Red's Rye PA and didn't think much of them. We had a Cerise at one of the Gents KC meetings and it was awful (though to be fair I absolutely loathe cherries, so odds were against me liking that one). I've had Breakfast Stout several times and like it but all the fuss over KBS, which, again is very good, just makes me not want to deal with the Breakfast Stout. Plus, Founders is only sold in Missouri so, on the rare occasions I go over to Missouri to buy beer, I'm more likely to buy Bell's (again only available in Missouri) which I enjoy quite a bit more.

Now, I'm not going to say all is right with me and Founders, but I will say I found a couple of beers I really enjoy, Double Trouble and Imperial Stout. Both are somewhat limited releases and may be a little harder to find, I know Gomer's South, Royal and Lukas Martin City have both of them because I've bought them there in the past week.

Double Trouble, which is a Double IPA, is excessively drinkable, especially for a 9.4% ABV beer is my favorite of the two. I first had it last week and almost had to forcibly stop myself from cracking over a second one. It's not super sweet which is the downfall of most DIPA's which allows it to be wonderfully citrusy. All around a wonderful treat that will sneak up on you because the alcohol is in hiding, you'll never even know it's there.

Imperial Stout is simply a great imperial stout. It has a nice little chocolate flavor and once again, the alcohol is hidden. If it gets cold again, you're going to want to have it around to warm you up before you go to bed. I'm really rationing the Imperial Stout until Boulevard's version comes out in a couple of weeks. From what I remember of Boulevard's it doesn't come close to being as enjoyable as the Founders Imperial Stout. And I certainly enjoy it more than the celebrated Breakfast Stout

Both Imperial Stout and Double Trouble are available in 4 packs of 12 oz. bottles for around $10. And both are well worth it.

10 comments:

  1. They make a really good porter too. Definitely worth a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I left that one off. I do really like the porter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel ya on the dirty bastard and cerise.. even the breakfast stout is a bit overrated. I really love the rye, but I'd love anything with rye in it.

    Two other beers from them worth checking out are Devil Dancer it certainly has tons of flavor, and their harvest ale is a really good fresh hop.

    Just my 2 cents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought some Double Trouble about a week ago and just cracked my first one about 10 minutes ago. Then refreshed your blog and boom, it's right there staring at me. The Breakfast stout is one of most favorites and I've got a 5 gallon batch of a home brew clone fermenting in the basement right now. Gonna have to try the Imperial Stout.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had the Double Trouble for the first time this year as well. Great DIPA. Nice and dank. I'm a pretty big Founders fan. The Red's Rye and Centennial IPA are my favorites of their regular line up. Really liked the Harvest Ale this year. The Nemesis beers are pretty interesting as well, if a little pricey. Backwoods Bastard and Old Curmudgeon are good if you are into bourbon barrel.

    I think the Breakfast Stout is my least favorite, but I'm not into coffee beers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Uhhh, why are you saying these are only available in Missouri? I hope you meant something else. It would suck to have a beer blog and be so blatantly wrong...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Since this is the KC beer blog, serving the needs of western Missouri and eastern Kansas, Founders beers are only distributed in Missouri and not Kansas. Although, it would suck to be an anonymous commenter and not be a blatant hard-on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've purchased a few Founders beers at the Martin City Lukas, but never thought much of it. Is it available there because it's so close to the state line? This distribution thing is a mystery to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Martin City Lukas is in Missouri.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't have the proper account to not post anonymously, and I'm not gonna bother. Both of these states suck. I have a permanent hard-on, thanks. Eat me.

    ReplyDelete