Monday, October 18, 2010

Yuengling Crossing the Mississippi

About a month ago someone on the KC Beer Blog Facebook page asked me when Yuengling was going to come to KC. I get this Yuengling question quite a bit. Either a disproportionate number of people who read this blog are from the east coast or Yuengling is the thing east coast transplants miss the most. I've never had a Yuengling before and for all I know it could be the greatest beer around. It doesn't rate very well on the beer rating sites so it must be a great nostalgia beer.

Anyway, I always take interest when I see something about Yuengling expanding so this article in the Wall Street Journal about Yuengling buying a brewing facility in Memphis piqued my interest. Yuengling has crossed the Mississippi for the first time, at least for brewing purposes. They are buying the facility to keep up with demand and hope to get enough capacity to add Ohio to its distribution in 2011. I would put Indiana, Illinois and Missouri as next on their list, if a list exists. So, Yuengling is still at least 2 years away from being available at your local KC bodega, but at least there's a chance for you east coasters transplanted in KC.

11 comments:

  1. Isn't Memphis still on the east side of the Mississippi or am I missing something?

    Yuengling is definitely a nostalgia beer but people, espeically in PA, are mighty proud of it for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yuengling is an excellent lager, probably on par with Boulevard Pilsner

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took a little creative license with Memphis being right on the river.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the best 'Everyday Beer' or 'Session Beers'!!! My friends in PA love the stuff. I hope the entire state of MO is as proud of BLVD as PA is Yuengling! (they should be)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yuengling is the go-to, usually fairly cheap lager people drink instead of Bud or Miller. I think it's a tad sweet but it certainly lacks the rotten corn flavor of most light American lagers, though I only drink it if I have no craft options.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I lived in Florida, I was surprised how prevalent Yuengling was on tap. It was in nearly every bar. Maybe because there were so many New Englanders wintering in the Sunshine State?? Anyhow, I really enjoyed it. Good beer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yuengling is not available in New Endgland. They won't compete with Sam up there. Also, Yuengling has been available in Iowa for years. Iowa is west of the Mississippi. Carry on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous, based on <a href-="http://www.yuengling.com/distributors/>Yuengling's website</a>, they do not have a distributor in Iowa. I'm not saying you can't find Yuengling in Iowa, I'm saying that it isn't distributed in Iowa. So if it's widely available, it's not available legally (unless Iowa has liquor laws unlike any other state in the union).

    You're right, it is not available in MA or NH.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I heard this deal might not happen now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Having lived and drank more than my share of beer in Iowa, I can tell you, anonymous, that Yuengling is not sold in Iowa. It would save me a 21 hour drive if it were.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Frasier Crane. What a douchey way to diss a good beer you know nothing about.

    ReplyDelete