Thursday, January 28, 2010

Three Breweries, One Pint Glass

While stopping by the Flying Saucer yesterday to enjoy their new lunch special and stare longingly at plate #72, I noticed one of the boards referenced a Schlafly/O'Fallon collaboration that I was completely clueless on. KC is still recovering from collaboration fever after the Boulevard/Orval launch last week, a night that found me way too intoxicated to give an honest opinion on how I think their collaboration tastes.

While I have never been a big Schlafly supporter, I enjoy following their progress and revisit their offerings as my tastes continue to evolve. As for O'Fallon, I generally blame it's presence in my beer fridge on my wife, but I really can't get enough Wheach. It's probably my favorite beer to enjoy on a nice summer day, and the O'Fallon Pumpkin offering is the only beer I routinely buy at least a case of every year. So O'Fallon's involvement with Schlafly on a beer is definitely something I'm interested in putting in my mouth.

A brief internet search takes you to the Potable Curmudgeon, who has all the juicy details. Apparently this beer has a third partner in the form of New Albanian Brewing Company in New Albany, IN. The details of the brew are as follows:
We're calling it the C-Series for short so this is C-1. It will be a Oak Aged Dry Hopped Smoked Rye Pale Ale, 6.5% and 35 IBU.
Paul A. Ner took to saying this brew sounds "too busy." Being the poet I am, the term "gang bang in a glass" came to mind. I can't even imagine what something like this would taste like. Hopefully good since I will be in attendance to get my glass next Thursday, February 4.


  1. Sweet, I tweeted that Schlafly should give us some of this to which they tweeted that we would not.

    Apparently someone with bigger nuts than me asked.

  2. I'm pretty much the same way with Schlafly and O'Failon. "Gangbang in a glass" certainly sounds appropriate for this collaboration, man and I'm glad they didn't toss this in a bourbon barrel as well.

  3. Thanks for the post. Most of this beer went to Indiana and Kentucky for various promotions. I was able to get my claws on 2 kegs coming west and the other will only make it to Columbia. Most likely this will be the first and last you hear of this particular style. Just thought we would have a little fun with the whole collaboration thing. "gang bang in a glass" fits well.

  4. As a Schlafly fan, I like the 15, APA, certainly the Imperial Stout and just this past fall, their Pumpkin brew. I'll be looking for the rye pale ale.

  5. I tried this at Flying Saucer and it was one of the worst beers I have ever had. It tasted like liquid band-aid.