Thursday, March 6, 2008

Please Tell Me What to Wear

This is from Kevin Collison in the Star (and our previous post)
The dress code will include prohibitions on “bandanas, work boots, and ripped and excessively baggy clothing.” Stephens said the code would be posted prominently. He said Cordish was working with City Councilwoman Melba Curls on an ordinance that would establish citywide standards for implementing dress codes. Curls could not be reached for comment.

I don't really have a problem with a private business instituting a dress code. They are under no obligation to serve someone they don't want to as long as it is not discriminatory. But a city ordinance is not need to implement dress codes. The city has no reason to get involved. Apparently Melba Curls is either being paid off by Cordish or is monumentally stupid. I suppose it could be a combination of both.

All of this dress code hub-bub in the P&L is fairly unnecessary anyway because most nights the Power and Light is throwing a white out. It is very rare to see a minority walking around in the P&L and not any bars/restaurants really catering to the minorities. Let people wear what they want, it's certainly not going to affect the racial makeup of P&L customers. AND we definitely don't want a city wide dress code, it's ridiculous.


  1. Don't wanna scare that whiteout away, do they? Or any of the country/rural/FFA, etc. visitors. Good things they have work boots are included in that.

  2. Can we include the Bud Light and Coors drinkers? Don't forget the Zima drinkers.

  3. I agree that there should not be a dress code, they could have easily just implemented a split cover for the KC Live area which would have been equally effective in keeping "the targeted" out. Then again, how hard is it to just throw on some different clothes if we want to go out in that area?

  4. Just FYI, a dress code like this is very common. I haven't done the research but I'm pretty sure that most cities that have districts like this have dress codes. I know that the Plaza has a dress code.

    I don't see the problem with not wanting all the new folks visiting downtown to think it is the hood.

  5. I have looked for a place to post this and found one. I live in Belton and wanted to check out many of the establishments in the Grandview area tonite. I stopped in the Zone. It is on the Grandview/Belton border, I thought it would be just like the several other small bars I walked in tonite. It wasn't. I walked in the door and was immediately asked for my identification and then asked to tuck in my shirt.

    I was very offended. I was not wearing anything offensive. Khaki shorts and a dressy shirt. I looked like most any ordinary 29 year old guy. Dress codes are incredibly offensive especially for a low-class bar like this. Even in the P&L District they might send a bad message, but a small bar in Grandview. Definitely not appropriate.

    I am a big guy. I was approached by two bouncers right as I walked in the door. They must not want any service besides the regulars.

    I was offended. I'm rambling, but I am pissed. No other bar in Grandview or Belton has this. It was horrible and makes them look bad. I could have spent lots of money there and was intending on it as well as tipping well.

    I just left furious the way I was treated. I don't even drink unless I am with friends who will drive me or I am at home. I dare not chance a DWI. In a small establishment wait until I at least ask for a beer before being an asshole and demanding an ID.

    Sorry. I love this blog. My rant seemed somewhat appropriate when talking about dress codes. =)