McCoy's Accordion Table


As the second part of our Valentine's Day evening out we ventured over to McCoy's Public House. My other "plans" had to be aborted because Stella was sick, so I improvised and came up with McCoy's for dessert. I don't particularly go out of my way for dessert so I have beer when we go to McCoy's for dessert.

This little tradition started way back when Stella and I were dating. Typically back then we would go to dinner and a movie and then go over to Harry's Bar and Tables or McCoy's. If we went to McCoy's it was because Stella wanted some dessert. For some reason I would bet that 90% of the time we got the same table, what we refer to as the accordion table.

The accordion table was a window seat facing out towards Westport Rd. towards the little parking lot. It's a fun seat because you can see all the activity on the street and back then you could see activity over at the Hurricane. We spent many nights sitting at the accordion table sharing a dessert and drinking fresh brewpub beer. McCoy's doesn't have my favorite beer in town, but the raspberry beer is pretty good and the brown ale is a nice beer. What makes McCoy's a great place is the time I've spent with Stella at the accordion table.

Last night on an improvisation we ended up at McCoy's and were seated at the accordion table. Stella ordered the bread pudding, a favorite dessert that I introduced her to a long time ago. I ordered a black and tan, namely because it was $2 last night. We sat and talked about when we were dating and the first time I took her to the sushi place across the street. We talked about the wine tastings we used to go to at Harry's Bar and Tables. And we talked about the time my friends and I spent a day opening Tanner's, going to a Royals game and closing down Kelly's a long time ago. Stella pointed out a douchie girl sitting at the next table drinking a Bud Light from a bottle, which brought up the first time I met Stella for a drink and she was drinking Bud Light from a bottle. For once, I was soft on the douchie girl and just assumed she wasn't lucky enough to meet her beer drinking life partner yet.

I have a lot of great memories that are visible from the accordion table. So next time you go to McCoy's look for the 2 seater with a picture of a classroom full of children accordion players and maybe you can enjoy it as much as I do.

Other Popular Posts on KC Beer Blog