Craft beer is unquestionably a male dominated hobby. It's slowly starting to change, but not fast enough. I recently heard a bartender casually mention, "we have ciders and lambics for the girls." While a friend from Boston noted that his wife was questioned, "are you sure you want to order that? It's sour." Some of this stems from the stereotype that men like beer and women like wine. On the other hand, I know plenty of women craft beer geeks who love the bitterest of IPAs and the most strong of barrel aged imperial stouts. Conversely, I know men who prefer ciders to most kinds of beer.
Flying Saucer is doing their best to bring to light some of the prominent craft beer women with their Women of Craft Beer series which starts tonight and continues through August. Check out the details of the events below (which all start at 7pm).
- August 6: International IPA Day: Tapping Founders All-Day Blis Blast, a Flying Saucer exclusive in KC with Ashley Krull, Founders' Missouri Sales Manager. ALl-Day BLiS Black is All-Day IPA aged for 5 months in BLiS Blast hot sauce barrels. The barrels first held (in order): Bourbon, KBS, BLiS maple syrup, BLiS hot sauce, and finally All Day IPA. Sounds, um, interesting.
- August 13th: Lagunitas Brewers Table w/ Lagunitas' Head Brewer Mary Bauer. 4 beers including Mozango, A Little Sumpin' Special, Gnarleywine and Pilsner along with food pairings from Chef Derek Owen.
- August 19th: Cinder Block Glass Night w/ Willi Becher glass and Sarah Hearn, Cinder Block's Sales Manager.
- August 20th: Tallgrass Tap Night w/ Wooden Rooster and others (pending state approval) and Courtney Pierson, Tallgrass' Quality Control Director.
- August 26th: New Belgium Tutored Tasting and glass night with supervising brewer Tamar Banner.