Friday, January 6, 2012

B4TW - Green Flash Rayon Vert

Image credit: beerbooters.com
To any of you who have seen me tweet about Rayon Vert since I first tried it, this choice for Beer for the Weekend is probably no surprise. Now some of you dissenters may think that a Deschutes beer just HAS to be the Beer for the Weekend, and while I respect that opinion, I politely disagree.

If you haven't had the opportunity to try Rayon Vert yet, it is a Belgian Pale Ale brewed with Brettanomyces. The result is a light-bodied, easy-drinking beer that balances West Coast hops with the funk of the Belgian yeast strain. With the unseasonably warm weather we've been having, this is a perfect beer to enjoy outside on a patio on what could be one of our last outdoor drinking weekends for a while. Plus, at $9 for a 4-pack, this is a great bargain for a Belgian-style pale with Brett.

Rayon Vert is a year-round offering, though it seems to have been a little bit harder for people to find recently. I know Royal just got a delivery in today, so other places may have replenished their stock as well. So get out there, grab a 4-pack, and find somewhere to sit outside.

Also, in case anyone was wondering (I know I did at first) "Rayon Vert" is French for "Green Flash". So essentially, you are drinking a Green Flash Green Flash. I know, a real head trip, right?

17 comments:

  1. hmmm, i haven't seen that at all on the shelves with their other offerings. have to look a bit closer i guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what all the hubbub is about Deschutes. I'm sure their bigger offerings will better, but the two we got (porter, pale ale) are not that great at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Anonymous I've seen it a couple different places on the MO side, I'm not not 100% sure it's in KS, although KS has actually gotten some of the other Green Flash releases before MO, so I tend to believe it'd be there.

    @Shane I had Black Butte and Black Butte XXIII in Denver and enjoyed both, especially the XXIII. Haven't had a chance to crack open Mirror Pond yet. I think Deschutes was especially anticipated just because the release had been pushed back a couple times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Black Butte and Mirror Pond are not beer geek beers (they pre-date beer geeks) but they are certainly well made. The anniversary Black Buttes, Dissident, Abyss, Mirror Mirror etc are definitely beer geek beers. Think Boulevard six packs vs limited release Smokestacks. Their fresh hop beers are awesome too. I hope we get those.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I grabbed Rayon Vert @ Rihmann in PV the first time I saw it a few weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found Rayon Vert at Lukas Liquor Near 135 and Stateline on Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just saw Rayon Vert at Gomers in Lees Summit for $8.99(!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. First off the term beer geek irritates me. Second Mirror Pond is definitely a beer geek beer. It's all Pale Ale malt with a touch of crystal and 100% cascade hops. If you cant geek out on the flavors they are getting from those ingredients... well try it you might learn something.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, take it easy beer geek

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous: Budweiser American Ale was all pale malt with a little bit of crystal and cascade hops.

    I think you misinterpreted my comment. I was praising Mirror Pond as a well made beer despite not having any of the features that a lot of craft beer enthusiasts (or whatever term won't offend you) seem to require these days such as bigness, sourness, weirdness, barrel aging etc.

    I lived in Portland for 7 years. I've had plenty of experience with Mirror Pond.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looked interesting, so I looked for it at Royal on Saturday morning and was told they had none. Do you think stores will restock it or not?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brad at Royal said a couple of weeks ago that he thinks there will generally be plenty of it to go around. I think there is just an initial rush to get out and get it and that will die down after another shipment or two. Places like Royal/Gomers/Lukas get so much attention that they can sell out of things quickly. Sometimes it pays off to check out places like Hyvee or Mikes that are a little more off the radar but still get most stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  13. John I understood your comment. I was adressing all the kc "beer geeks" who are poo pooing deschutes initial offerings. No offense. And AB uses plain 2 row. Pale ale is nuttier and biscuitier like British Maris Otter.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oops just noticed you specified american ale. You are correct.

    ReplyDelete
  15. green flash is perhaps my favorite brewery right now so i make sure my store stocks plenty. I work at Berbiglia on westport road. We will get more Rayon Vert later this week, but we still have a little bit. Just a super beer, very dynamic, nice to have some brett at the price point all the time. We still have plenty of Le Freak, Trippel, and Barleywine as well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh and Check out the Berbiglia on 103rd for some 23rd Anny Black Butte as well as the regular black butte and mirror pond.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gomer's on holmes was out of the Rayon; however I did see 6'rs of Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA. I'd never seen that before. 6.6% abv

    ReplyDelete