Sunday, December 11, 2011

Lagunitas Sucks and Boulevard BBQ are on the way

Ah, Winter seasonals; is their any better time of the year for beer geeks? Many have already come and some are already gone, but two will be showing up on Tuesday that are worth talking about. The first shipments of Lagunitas Sucks and Boulevard Bourbon Barrel Quad should start arriving at local stores this week.

Lagunitas Sucks is a brand new beer brewed to temporarily replace BrownShugga'. According to the brewery, "This sad holiday season we didn’t have the brewing capacity to make our favorite seasonal brew, the widely feared BrownShugga’ Ale. So this substitute beer is a ‘Cereal Medley’ of Barley, Rye, Wheat, and Oats…. Full of complexishness from the 4 grains, and weighing in at 7.6% abv, Then joyously dry-hopped for that big aroma and resinous hop flavor." I haven't tried it yet, but based on that description and the brewery's track record, I think its fair to say this one's worth tracking down.

I assume anyone who reads this blog already knows about BBQ, but for the uninitiated it is a Belgian-style Quadrupel aged in bourbon barrels with cherries added. It is one of Boulevard's best beers (it gets 99pts from Rate Beer and is the 8th highest-rated Quadrupel in the world according to Beer Advocate, if you care about such things) and one of my personal favorites. I will never forget drinking my first BBQ with my family at Christmas back in 2008. Not only did it blow away me and several people who don't typically drink beer, but along with Saison Brett it also helped change my perception of the brewery. The original Smokestack lineup, the Sixth Glass, Long Strange Tripel, the original Saison, and Double Wide IPA, was a great collection of beers. But the creation of the Special Limited Release line of the Smokestack Series and its first two beers, Saison Brett and BBQ, brought the brewery to another level. That's when Boulevard went from being my hometown brewery to being one of my absolute favorite breweries.

Both of these beers should be reasonably easy to find, at least in the early going. BBQ figures to be the more rare of the two, but I've heard there will be over 200 cases for the greater KC metro. Still, I wouldn't chance it, start your search Tuesday!

27 comments:

  1. Found it at On The Rocks in Lawrence on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I recall correctly last year was the first %100 barrel aged version of this. Before, there was a blend of fresh batches with barrel aged batches. Any info on this, unless I'm just crazy. If so, disregard my question. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have tomorrow off. Perfect. I'm hoping to get my hands on the Chocolate Ale as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Second anonymous, that is true. Prior to last year, Bourbon Barrel Quad was a blend of fresh and barrel aged beer. As we've gotten into second and third uses on our barrels as well increasing our barrel collection,we've discovered that the final blend has a nice balance that doesn't require blending in fresh beer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Any word on when Lagunitas will be releasing Cappucino Stout? Last year's allotment was pretty slim here in KC. Wasn't as crazy as the Boulevard Chocolate Ale but still gone before you knew it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been told that Cappucino Stout has been pushed back this year, but I don't have an ETA. When I learn more I will be sure to put it on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They had BBQ at Missie's (63rd and Quivira) but it was $15.99. Refused to buy on principle.

    The full "Lagunitas Sucks" story on the bottom of the 6-pack carrier is pretty funny. The self-deprecation is refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I picked up both today. I'm going to sit on BBQ for a little while, but I tried the Lagunitas Sucks immediatly and loved it. Its essentially another Lagunitas IPA. Almost 8% abv and very hop forward. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, Lagunitas Sucks tastes a lot like their last Lucky 13. It's not going to help the perception that a lot of their beers taste similar (luckily, I like that taste).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoy Lagunita's Sucks more than lucky 13, maybe I should try 13 again. The house flavor truly is similar across the gambit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. At least Lagunita's is finally accurately naming their products.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How do you not like any Lagunitas chimp?

    ReplyDelete
  13. While liking a lot of Lagunitas, I can acknowledge it almost across the board tastes the same.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm with you Chimpotle. I'm not a Lagunitas fan and will never purchase another of their beers again. All taste the same with the same hop profile throughout. Don't like the idea that they go and brew a beer without shooting for a certain style.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hop Stoopid. No reason for them to make anything else, except to make Bullevard happy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. If you have the chance, I would consider this year's BBQ a must buy. It was one of the most complex beers I've ever tasted.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Is there anymore left? After checking with several places for BBQ, I was told they were sold out before they even received their shipment arrived they were "spoken for".

    ReplyDelete
  18. Saying "all Lagunitas tastes the same" (or that all Lagunitas beer is sub-par) is friggin' ridiculous and completely short-sided. I realize a lot of you possess a great knowledge of American craft beer, but statements such as these do very little to educate people reading this blog, says me. Lagunitas obviously showcases a really nice use of West Coast hops (obviously) in many beers, have a KILLER pilsner, and if you think stuff like Gnarlywine, the Little Sumpin' series and the other seasonals (obviously, we're missing some of those this year) aren't up to snuff, than I would certainly question your palate.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lagunitas tastes the same

    ReplyDelete
  20. All Lagunitas tastes the same

    ReplyDelete
  21. You say "nice use of West Coast hops," I say one-note brewery that apparently practices the nice use of something I don't like...unless it's used by any other West Coast brewery.

    Hop Stoopid is good, but that's only because it is the correct style of beer that they make all of their beers taste like.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gotta agree with Chimp, Lagunitas beers all taste cheap to me. As a home-brewer maybe I'm spoiled, but I think their beers all have a kinda generic hop profile. (hop extracts vs whole hops?)

    There are lots of west coast breweries that over-hop everything. Half of Sierra Nevada's beers smell like Cascade hops - but they don't all taste the same.

    Lagunitas is pretty brilliant though, they took the BMC strategy: make a cheap beer that people like and repackage it under a dozen names with minor variations (Bud, Bud Light, Michelob Amber, Michelob Blahblahblah) and applied it to IPA.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Long live Lagunitas! As a hops lover, I enjoy their creations with subtle variations. If only they'd put it in cans, like Oskar, Ska and Avery do in Colorado.

    Russian River, Green Flash and Alpine all make terrific IPA's.
    Check out Pizza Port in Carlsbad and Solana Beach for terrific brews.

    Sierra Nevada once ruled but has slipped behind those mentioned above. Their brewpub in Chico is a good place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lagunitas Update:

    Cappucino Stout bombers should be hitting KC stores this week. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Everyone bashing Lagunitas sounds retarded. Tastes the same? Tastes cheap? Their pale is hoppy enough to be an IPA but it tastes completely different from their IPA. Theres nothing wrong with hop extract, they use it to get better yield from their German brewhouse. Actually you are right their pils tastes just like their ipa... f'ning beer d-bags are getting on my nerves.

    ReplyDelete