Monday, November 21, 2011

Epilogue

Yesterday it was a balmy 75 when I took this picture
Ah, the beach. You know in this day and age you have a lot of choices what your background image is going to be? You choose your desktop, you choose your gmail theme, you choose your feed reader theme. You have all the choices in the world to customize the tools you use in life. You can choose the walk in the woods, the mountains, an African safari, etc.. I’ve always chosen the beach picture.

You all know, I grew up in Wichita. Kansas City for me was a dream. I was drawn here. I came up 4 or 5 times a year all the time I was growing up. I always saw KC as the big city, the place I would live, the place I would love. And things worked out that way. I’m one of the few people to ever move here twice, one time pretty successful, one time not. But, there’s always been the nagging feeling about wanting to be a part of that beach picture.



My life has changed dramatically in KC. I met my wife. I conceived 3 children. I got an MBA. I met a lot of people. I’ve had a good time writing things on this here beer blog and somehow, someway have a bit of a following. I’m not sure why I’ve gotten the opportunity to do some of the things I’ve gotten to do over the past 4 years, but it’s been a great time. In these times you get to see where everyone you went to high school with ended up. For me, many stayed in Wichita, many ended up here in KC, but I’ve always been intrigued by the ones who ended up somewhere random, like Bismarck, ND, Phoenix, AZ, Seattle, Pittsburgh, wherever. How did they get there? It’s strange to me. And now it’s me that’s going somewhere random.

 I love KC, I love its character, I love that I can discern qualities about people and places based on where they’re located in the city. I love knowing all the neighborhoods, well, the neighborhoods south of the river, north of the river is a mystery. I love that we have a great hometown brewery. I love that we have plenty of great local beer. I even love when people from Lawrence try to make believe they’re part of Kansas City. 

Despite all of that, I’ve known for several months now, that Kansas City was not going to be my home much longer. And then the beach presented itself and things fell into place and now I sit in my soon to be empty living room thinking about being on the beach in just over 2 weeks. I have many things to find out about my new home; where are the beer bars, where’s the best liquor stores, what’s the best local beer? These are all things I know about Kansas City, these are all things I’m going to find out about my new home, Virginia Beach. As an aside, I do know where I can pick up 5 bottles of Lagunitas Brown Shugga’, a little place called Grape and Gourmet a mere 7 minutes from my new house.

Things around the KC Beer Blog are going to stay pretty much the same except I won’t be writing here regularly anymore. I’ve lined up a couple of people to hopefully continue the sorts of things you’re used to reading here. They’ll introduce themselves in the next couple of days. As for me, I don’t know that I’ll start the Virginia Beach Beer Blog or Hampton Roads Beer Blog (Norfolk, Suffolk, Portsmouth, Virginia Beach, Newport News and Hampton make up Hampton Roads, it’s about the same population as Kansas City), though I suspect that won’t be happening. I do know that I have to have a creative outlet where I can write the stupid things you’re used to reading from me.

I’m going to keep the Twitter name @bullevard, if you follow me for beer news, you’ll probably want to unfollow, it won’t hurt my feelings. My Facebook name has changed to my real name and made private. Bull’s Hits, my Tumblr blog, will remain as is and will probably see the bulk of any writing I do over the next couple of months.

As for you, the dear reader, thank you. Thank you for clicking through here for the past 4 and a half years. Thank you for being respectful and never letting the comments section turn into a place of personal attacks and other trash. Thank you for making me feel like my opinion mattered and humoring me when thoughts that were in my head didn’t necessarily translate into the written word. Thank you for putting up with my biases. Thank you for telling me of a post you really enjoyed. I never claimed to be an expert, I never claimed to be the most knowledgeable beer guy, but you guys made me feel like a valuable beerizen of Kansas City.

This is a gigantic move for me, Stella and the kids will still be in Kansas City until the new year, most of my stuff will still be in Kansas City until then as well. I’ll pretty much have a couple of weeks of clothes, a couple cast iron pans, some Lagunitas Mason Jars, an air bed and a 4 bedroom house 10 minutes from the beach. I’ll spend December biking to work, maybe take in a tasting or 2 at the little brewery between my work and house, trying out the gas station barbecue restaurant by my work and enjoying the 50 degree weather.

As an aside KCMO, it goes a real long way when you’re moving across the country to be able to tell your family that your kids will be going to a top 10 school district. It really does set a parent’s mind at ease. No one who has moved to KC in the past 30 years has had that peace of mind, you may want to work on that. I’ll always have great thoughts about Kansas City, I’m going to miss the hell out of the barbecue and I’m probably going to salivate over many a Boulevard release that I won’t have access to (let’s get working on VA distribution, Boulevard). But, Virginia does have many more beers distributed to it than either Missouri or Kansas, so I'll have some beersploring to do.

I won’t be back enough and when I am back I won’t have enough time. But, I know, these KC years have been the best of my life, I hope my Virginia Beach years will be even better, but I’ll always look back fondly on these last 10 years. This blog is a part of that and I’ll miss it. And guys, I missed a couple of posts last week because of moving plans and all that. Smokehouse BBQ in Zona Rosa has an expanded tap list, check it out. Sam Adams has 4 new bombers out, they're pretty limited and my already be gone. I was really excited about them when I found out about them a couple of months ago. Frambozen's out in stores, hopefully it will be easy to find again. Also a couple of new Lips of Faith beers have hit the shelves, look for them.

Thanks for reading, stay tuned. And if you ever find yourself headed to Virginia Beach, drop me a line.

31 comments:

  1. Thanks bull, best of luck on your next adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all you've done for the KC beer scene. Virginia is pretty awesome: I think you'll really like it there! Safe travels and godspeed to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My desktop background has always been dudes sweating in tight pants. Where am I supposed to go? WHERE AM I SUPPOSED TO GO?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always enjoyed your work here, good luck the move!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chimpo, Doesn't Gents fill your need for dudes in sweatpants?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll miss you on my KC visits!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always enjoyed your site. Best of luck in your new journey.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will miss your musk.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Indeed it does. That's why I'm asking about dudes in hot pants.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for all the great information and work you did on the blog. Best of luck in VA!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bull, good luck to you and thanks for all you've done here. You've left your mark on the local beer scene in a positive way!

    @Chimpolte, Google for "hasselhoff puppies", no hot pants but may be a suitable replacement.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Try not to jusge the barbeque out there too harshly - they don't honestly know better. And, after a time, you will adopt their ways and come to praise it too...

    Fortunately, regardless of location, a well crafted beer is a well crafted beer.

    Congratulations on your new life.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Always grateful for your blog's major assistance in speeding up my learning curve, upon delving into the craft beer world a little while ago. Your local reviews, comments and suggestions (both beer and otherwise), will be missed.

    My best to you and your family on the new adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Bull. Good luck in your future endeavors. When the craft beer bug really bit me, your blog was the first I started reading.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for your work over the years - I've enjoyed reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. All the best to you and what the future holds for you in Virginia! We greatly appreciate all that you (and your liver) have done over the course of the last 4 years. Hopefully your friends can keep the blog going, as this is really the one local beer outlet that has shaped the local beer community. McCoy's hasn't really done it, and the few spattering of other local beer blogs has been unreliable at best.

    If your friends need assistance, let me know. It would be a shame to have this resource dissolve. Of course, so goes the way of many local blogs and social media outlets.

    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sad to see you go, but happy for your new opportunities. Like you growing up in Wichita, KC was always my aspiration, too. My career trajectory quite possibly will be taking me there in the next couple years and I was looking forward to hooking up and grabbing a few beers. Now I'll just have to make it out to the beach. Good luck in the new gig, hope you enjoy it. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It saddens me a little that I won't be reading anymore posts from you and in all honesty, I probably wont follow the blog as much as I have in the past. Whike I didn't always agree with you, I thoroughly enjoyed the readings and gained much respect for your opinions and local beer knowledge.
    KC is definitely losing a special something with your relocation.
    Cheers and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yessssssssssss!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations and best of luck on the big move!

    ReplyDelete
  22. VA gets old dominion, yuenling,dogfish,oskar blues (why can't they distribute one state over) and some PA brews I can't think of the top of my head. Also I think New Belgium is in VA now but only a limited offering. As for liquor - Everything is run by the state ABC stores. Prices are crazy expensive and selction is limited. Gonna miss your blog posts. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  23. thanks for providing years of timekilling entertainment and beer info. although I never met you I have thoroughly enjoyed your blog and your preaching of the good beer gospel to the masses.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations but we will certainly miss you! You leave big shoes to fill in the KC beer blogging community. Your commitment and passion for beer in the KC area was inspiring to say the least. We'll raise a pint in your honor at the brewery this week.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks, Bull. I've enjoyed your writing and you were always the go-to spot for news and releases.

    Best of luck in VA.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I’m bummed to hear this news, but I wish you and Stella all the best.

    While I will certainly miss the news about all the releases, I will miss your “themed” posts much more. Pairing beers with Royals, or your ranking of a brewery’s starting 5 are two of my favorites off the top of my head, but if I thought about it there would be many more.

    Most of all, I have met some great people (including you, sir) as a result of reading/commenting at this here blog. You should be proud of the sophomoric beer-soaked bromances you’ve helped to facilitate.

    Thank you for all the work you’ve put into this blog—and I know it’s a lot of work. Thanks for letting me contribute a couple times (and sorry I didn’t have more to contribute).

    Good luck to you.

    P.S. I have a super-exclusive Centurion Kim & Josh opener, yours for the asking.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Bull, I'm so proud of you. I'm proud of where you have taken this little blog, the little blog that started out as an experimental writing project. I never really got "into it" the way you did...and you really gave it some wings and spirit!

    A little piece of Kansas City is going away, and it makes me sad. I'm happy for you, however, and only wish the best for you and your family on THE BEACH!!! Let the good times roll!

    Wes Port

    ReplyDelete
  28. Liebe Vard,
    While I'm happy that you and your family can relocate to the beach, I'm saddened that the KC Beer Blog is losing it's Head Coach. Unlike Turner Gill, you won. You won with weekly updates about beer that nobody in KC can come close to matching. It's true that Van Halen morphed into Van Haggar...and that was good for some (Bud Light drinkers). I hope that KC Beer Blog doesn't go the way of "Why Can't This Be Love".

    Auf Weidersehen and enjoy your new digs!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congrats to you and the famly Bull.... You will be missed!

    Your friends at
    Central States Beverage!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congrats to you and good luck. I am on to new adventures as well.

    ReplyDelete