Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Cock of the Walk

You know that scene in "Elf" when Buddy sees the sign for "World's Best Coffee" in the city. He walks in and congratulates them, "You did it! Congratulations! World's best cup of coffee! Great job, everybody! It's great to be here." That never fails to crack me up. Whenever I see a sign like that I always want to replicate it, but, alas, there are very few original jokes in the world and I'm sure some 13 year old boy has already done it to anyone with that sign.



But, I can be reasonably assured I'm the first to scream "You did it! Congratulations! World's best canned Tripel! Great job everybody!" Okay, so Velvet Rooster from Tallgrass is the first canned Belgian style Tripel so it's obviously got to be the best. But, 1 month ago I could have made a tripel and canned it and called it the world's best and no one would have cared. Since Tallgrass did it, it's a little more noteworthy and I wouldn't have made the connection to Elf if it wasn't really good. And it is really good.

When I had it on tap last summer, I thoroughly enjoyed it, but it missed just a little bit of the bold tripel flavors that I'm looking for. But, they reformulated it a little for canning, using a different yeast and it's now a home run. The Boulevard Long Strange Tripel is one of my favorite beers, but it doesn't come in the Little Smokies package so I have to commit to a whole 750. Velvet Rooster comes in the 16 oz. 4 pack cans that you're used to from Tallgrass. And the Velvet Rooster is a great substitute for Long Strange Tripel when you just want a nice tripel with your dessert or after dinner drink. It's not often I try a new beer for the first time and decide on the spot that it's going to find a permanent spot in my beer fridge. Velvet Rooster has done that.

And now, it's here. The Velvet Rooster is hitting store shelves on the Kansas side of the line today, Missouri won't get theirs until next week. It should be widely available so if you're store doesn't have it, tell them to get it and leave. You'll be making that liquor store just a little bit better by informing them of the beer they need to carry.

"Congratulations Tallgrass! You did it!"

Disclosure: I received a can of Velvet Rooster from a source interested in selling more Velvet Rooster. It did not affect my review of Velvet Rooster, but you can be the judge of that.

11 comments:

  1. Why can't beer commercials all be that funny?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your excitement for smooth cock doesn't surprise me a bit. It will probably be a big hit with the Gents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sick burn?

    I'm amped. I have not had the rooster yet and I am generally a Tallgrass fan though in typical contrarian fashion I like Buffalo Sweat and do not like Halcyon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any ideas on which stores in the kc area might get this first?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It should be in any decent KS side liquor store by now. KCMO won't be getting it for at least a week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll have to keep a lookout for this. I just posted my review of an Iowa beer, Roller Dam Red (Great River Brewing), which also comes in a 16 oz can, so as always, I have cans on my mind! LOL The Roller Dam was AWESOME and I'm disappointed I didn't pick up more than just the one can.

    I was under the impression that Tallgrass's beers sucked. I don't know where I came up with that, but around this time a year ago I picked up a 4-pack of the Buffalo Sweat stout and I loved it. I don't know if it's the novelty of drinking good beer out of a can, or what, but I really liked that beer. This summer, my pool beer was Tallgrass's canned wheat beer, and that was really pretty good, too. I will definitely pick some of this up, thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LD, I didn't like Tallgrass beers for quite a while. I tried them when they were still in bottles and they seemed to be mediocre. I started giving them kudos when I tried Oasis. Then Halcyon Wheat came out and now I think they've really turned a corner and I'll drink whatever they put out there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought they had turned a corner until I drank this last night. Liked it the couple of times I had the draft version. The smell was horrible out the can.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are they still making their IPA? I liked that beer a lot and haven't seen it around lately.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I tried it for the first time at the Strong Ale Fest this weekend. It was completely different from almost everything I tried there (save the 75th street "Betty's Barrel" sour... that was wicked!), although my palette was completely shot by the end of the night. Call me a rookie, but to me, the Velvet Rooster had this odd corn flavor that was somewhat offputting. I wanted so badly to like it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was the ONLY beer that I did not enjoy, even a little, at the fest this weekend. I agree with above...some kind of bad flavor, especially from the swallow to the aftertaste.

    ReplyDelete