Tuesday, June 21, 2011

What's Goode at McCoy's

I hope Beer KC doesn't mind me stealing this pic
As part of mine and Stella's patio sitting Friday night we hit up McCoy's for some happy hour beers and a snack. I knew from Beer KC (a must follow blog for those interested in the corner of Pennsylvania and Westport) that McCoy's had a farmhouse ale on tap. A farmhouse ale and happy hour specials go together like peas and carrots as Forrest Gump might say.

We got a nice spot on the patio, ordered up a couple of Goode's Farmhouse Ales and some pretzels and enjoyed an afternoon in Westport. What we got for our efforts was a wonderful $3 beer filled with belgian-y goodness. It was much closer to a Great Divide Colette than Boulevard Tank 7 as far as farmhouseyness, but much lighter on the citrus than Colette. I liked it a hell of a lot more than Colette and it was perfect for sitting on the patio on a hot day. I've been impressed with a number of beers from McCoy's but probably none more than this one. Of course it is my favorite style of beer and a great version of that style.

It was 7.2 6.1% ABV and Stella really felt the alcohol as I assured her it wasn't a really strong beer (guess I was wrong). That seems a little dangerous as it was so good and easy to drink, you could pound down 4 of them pretty easy during happy hour. But, one or two will make you feel a-ok.

5 comments:

  1. I was listening to the CYBIs on Saisons and Belgian Strong Goldens recently and in my opinion the McCoy's Goode has the problem of under attenuation and ends up finishing too sweet for my tastes. The aroma is nice though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not trying to show you up, but the link says it weighs in at 6.2%. Just an FYI.

    Hope to try this guy out. Always like a good farmhouse in the summer. BTW speaking of summer beers do we still get abita strawberry harvest in Kansas City?

    ReplyDelete
  3. and I was wrong too, 6.1%, hah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, that's what I get for looking up ABV on Beer Advocate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They lowered the ABV on the newer batches - it was 7%

    ReplyDelete