Thursday, May 19, 2011

Lagunitas Fun

We're having our first of many little KC Beer Blog contests. It's being held at the KC Beer Blog Facebook page. You must like the page to take part in the contest. At stake is ownership of a Lagunitas Mason Jar, my preferred beer glass. All you have to do is take a picture of an open bottle of one of the new to market Lagunitas beers, along with that beer poured into a glass with the words "KC Beer Blog" visible and post that picture to the wall of the KC Beer Blog Facebook page. The first 3 people to do so will each get a Lagunitas Mason Jar. The first person to post a pic with each of the new Lagunitas beers will get a pair of Lagunitas Mason Jars.

You must "like" the KC Beer Blog Facebook page in order to post pics, so get on it. You don't care about a Lagunitas Mason Jar? Well I have a couple different prizes to give away in the coming weeks that will only be announced on the Facebook page so go ahead and "like" it if you haven't already.


  1. BillyJoeTheBrainMay 19, 2011 at 6:23 PM

    Yup, you definitely get paid by Lagunitas in mercy and crappy tasting beer

  2. I'd love to live in a world where a brewery would care enough about what I write that they would be willing to pay me in merch enough to buy my credibility.

  3. LMAO... Not sure but I really do not care. What part of being passionate about a beer does Billy Joe not get... To me you seem to be passionate about Lagunitas but rarely do you have enough to talk about as it relates to the brand. Perhaps the distributor is not that good but I can attest to the beer being that good. Good for you, in sharing and keep it up. If one out of 20 - 40 posts is about this brand it will be 15-30 too few! I want the dam Jars!

  4. BillyJoetheBrainMay 20, 2011 at 8:28 AM

    I understand being passionate about a beer, it's the shameless plugs that are constantly on this blog that get to me. Bull writes all the time that Lagunitas needs our help, but yet they are in the top 30 craft breweries in the nation, ahead of better breweries like Odells. They don't need our help. Their beers are mediocre at best and the only reason they do so well is they have a lower price point then everyone else. And anonymous, if you want the jar so bad, head over to Lukas Liqour or Royal Liquors, they've got them for $2 a piece.

  5. Billy, I get your complaint and I understand that you don't like Lagunitas. That doesn't matter to me, I do like it and I disagree that it's a mediocre brewery. But, we'll have to agree to disagree.

    Let me tell you a little story about how this "Lagunitas Needs Us" came about. I had a conversation with a guy at a liquor store one day about Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Sumpin' which just went year round and we didn't have it in the market yet. I love that beer, it's my unapologetic favorite everyday beer. The liquor store guy wove me a tale about how the distributor never knew anything about Lagunitas and the liquor store basically had to beg them to sell Lagunitas to them.

    I relayed this story to the distributor. He gave me a little bit of salesman speak but I took away from that conversation that the distributor wasn't behind the product. At the time Lagunitas wasn't available in the majority of liquor stores in town.

    I then called Lagunitas using the phone number on the bottles. I had a long conversation about Sumpin' Sumpin' and how I wanted it in town. Lagunitas basically said they had it available, the distributor just needs to buy it.

    So I wrote that post "Lagunitas Needs Us" to put a fire under the ass of the distributor. In the time since, the distributor has really done a good job getting Lagunitas into more stores and putting in Lagunitas displays and basically representing the brand much better than they did before.

    I still stand behind Lagunitas. But, more importantly, my post brought attention to Lagunitas to the distributor. What kind of an asshole would I be if I didn't continue to publicize it when the distributor does exactly what I wanted them to do six months ago?

    So when you see me pimping Lagunitas, it's because I believe in it and because KC Beer Blog played a small part in bringing in more of their beers.

    If I can give away a couple of $2 jars to thank our readers for all they did, then I will.

    Thanks for reading and the brewery's name is Odell not Odells.

  6. In the words of Samuel Jackson "you might just fight a person or two".