Friday, February 11, 2011

Chocolate Hunters

The Riot Room guys are back and featuring a little heard of beer, Boulevard Chocolate Ale. They have it, it's on tap where it's somehow even more delicious. This video also marks the first appearance by one the Gents KC members, Fancy Pants. Fancy Pants will be bringing Firestone Walker to KC by March 15. I'm not sure if this video is his acting debut, but Fancy Pants is absolutely riveting portraying a fake reporter.

If you're still looking for Chocolate Ale for home consumption, you're almost out of luck. Your best bet is calling the Berbiglias on Westport, 63rd and Main streets because they're getting the most. When you call get your name on a list. Berbiglia has what they call a Connoiseur Club and members will have some set aside for them. The rest goes to people on the list, first come first served. So get your name on the list. Also today, some of the smallest liquor stores are getting theirs. I wouldn't count on being able to get a bottle at these stores because their regular customers have probably already claimed any bottle they're going to get.

At this point, your best bet for drinking Chocolate Ale, short of driving to St. Louis (they're getting theirs today, list of retailers here) or Wichita or Lincoln, is to have it on tap at places such as The Riot Room, Harry's Country Club, Barley's, The Flying Saucer, Swagger, The Rieger, Nick and Jake's (full list on Central States' FB page). Happy hunting.

15 comments:

  1. I actually am headed to STL this weekend, so hopefully The Stable still has some on tap when we do our brewery crawl tomorrow.

    I was lucky enough to get a few bottles, but it would be nice to try it on tap before it runs out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 8 isn't a few bottles Matt, it's the mother lode. I read that article in the faux paper today (if they refer to me as "beer blogs", I'll refer to them as "faux paper"). Good work on your good fortune.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have it on good authority that FOX 4 will be doing a story on the Chocolate Ale madness tonight on their 5 or 6 news...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am thankful that I was able to pick up a few bombers at Gomer's in Parkville the day it was released.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My wife actually just managed to grab a bottle here in Austin a few minutes ago. I anxiously await her return home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just enjoyed one at Harry's--wasn't able to procure a bottle (although I was on a waiting list...). It was poured in a Southern Tier glass--LOL (Flying Saucer suggested comparing the Chokolat). I believe I have one reserved in Columbia--they're supposed to get it in a week or two...

    ReplyDelete
  7. John, Don't you have KC Biermasters tonight. You're going to be #drunj when you're done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Barleys Brewhaus at Midland and 435 is currently on #3 of 5 kegs.

    Gave it a try. I have always been a big fan of the majority of BLVDs beers but this one didn't do it for me. However, I did notice they are pouring pretty flat, looks like the bottles give you more head.

    If it shows up next year I am probably going to pass it up. But Kudos to BLVD for doing something so specialized...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I ended up liking my tap portion more. It was poured with a little dry stout on top maybe one eighth, Bottle was much more carbonated still enjoyed, but less chocolate flavor imo...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is the keg version cask-conditioned? That might explain the lesser carbonation. It takes some getting used to, but I really love a good cask-conditioned beer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Even thought the article said I got 8, which I did, she left out the part about me driving around town buying bottles for my friends too.

    I went to The Royale last night here in STL, who is supposed to get a keg of it, but they hadn't had it delivered yet. We're headed to 7 breweries/pub today, including the Stable, so hopefully they've received theirs already. I'd like to try it on tap too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lee the lower carbonation is because nearly every bar serves all beer with the same top pressure. If you delivered the beer at higher or lower carbonation, it would come to equilibrium with the system pressure over a few days resulting in an inconsistent product.

    For that reason Boulevard Smokestack beers are all highly carbonated in the bottle but have the same moderate carbonation in kegs as the stubby bottle Boulevard lyrics (around 2.5 volumes).

    ReplyDelete
  13. BTW I would support doing lower carbonation in the bottles if this is made again, it was a better presentation.

    That said is it just me or do we need some Tank 7 made with about 1/4 to 1/3 as much of the same nibs? That one can keep the high carbonation. Call it "7 Elbows", thank me later.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Royal Liquors on State Line and the one on SW Blvd. are getting several more cases of Chocolate Ale this morning. Get there now, it won't last long.

    ReplyDelete