Monday, September 27, 2010

Free Beer Wednesday

Budweiser, our land's biggest beer, is giving away free 6-12 oz. samples starting Wednesday. Because of our land's hundreds of different liquor laws, details are sketchy as to where you can actually get these free samples. My guess is, not in Kansas. You may have some "luck" in Missouri.

I propose, instead of going on a wild Bud chase, you go out to a bar and buy the cheapest craft beer draft they have. You'll be out $2-$3, but you'll be supporting a product that can use your support much more than Budweiser, part of an international behemoth of a company, does. Plus, you'll enjoy your beer much more. Go to McCoy's or 75th Street Brewery and try one of their home brewed beers. If you don't want to go to a bar, stop by your local liquor store and pick up a sixer of Boulevard Pilsner, Dundee Honey Brown, Schlafly No. 15 or Shiner Oktoberfest. All 3 of those beers are superior to Budweiser and only $1-$2 more expensive for a sixer.

A free beer is no reason to turn your back on a better quality product. If somebody wants to give you a Bud for free, go ahead and drink it, but then go ahead and order a craft beer.


  1. On a bit of a sidenote we visited 75th Street over the weekend and they were out of many of their beers (notably the Oatmeal Stout which is my fav, and the Brown which is my better half's fav). They had nothing on cask and no seasonals. They seem to be putting more of an emphasis on guest beers and are offering many other beers from other breweries in bottles as well. I don't quite get this, maybe I'm in the minority, but if I go to a brew pub, I go there to drink their beer, not something from another brewery that I can most likely get cheaper from the store. I've always liked their beer and was a bit disappointed with the selection. Not sure what is up with them. May have to do McCoy's next time and get some mac n' cheese.

  2. Dude, you must change the link color on this blog.

  3. Link color sucks. Got offered a free Budweiser at the Wizards game last Wednesday. I ran passed since it contained Clamato.

  4. Well put! I had a similar situation at a wedding reception at a country club in Iowa last weekend. Someone bought a keg of Bud Light, but I gladly kept dropping $3 for glasses of Olde Main Brewing Clone Ale. I had a couple of their "Dinkey Wheat" beers before the wedding, too. Both really enjoyable and worth checking out if you find them.

    Bud is giving this beer away because they are losing market share to microbrews. Bud Light sales were down 10% last year and the craft brew market is the only part of the beer industry that's growing. This is why you see "Shock Top" and "Hop Hound" "Fakrobrews" at the store.

    The question is, even if a craft beer drinker does drink a few free Bud Lights, how does that translate to BL sales? I'm not seeing the logic.