Monday, August 30, 2010

Free State Bottles are Here

For the right thinking indiividuals who don't consider Lawrence part of the KC metro, it's been a long wait to get some Free State in bottles. The day has finally come as Free State bottles will be hitting liquor store shelves this morning. Ad Astra Ale, Copperhead Pale Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Stormwatch Ale and Wheat State Golden Beer should be available on both sides of the state line (definitely in KS) this week. I know that Tipsy's in Mission is expecting their shipment this morning.

Now if we could just get a second location of Free State for Overland Park. I know the perfect spot, downtown Overland Park (Taste is actually in the former Tonic location in that link, but there's an empty spot a couple of doors down in the historic Ford Building that would be perfect for a brewpub).


  1. I have a date with Metcalf Discount Liquor tonight.

    So their IPA won't be on shelves? I've never tried it, but I'm curious to.

  2. Not to tell you your business Barry but Metcalf Discount Liquor is close to the last place I would look for new beer. I've never had any luck with them.

    Stormwatch is kind of an IPA (flavorwise, colorwise it's a brown).

  3. On the Free State website, Copperhead is described as an India Pale ale.

  4. Copperhead is definitely an IPA.

    Why did it take Free State THIS LONG to issue bottled beer? I mean, they've have a great regional following for 2 decades now.

  5. I'm not trying to be a hater, but I just don't understand the excitement over Freestate, first as it was available in kegs in bars, now in bottles. In my opinion it is average to at times sub par beer and totally not diserving of the love. With all the quality beer available at some place like Lukas or Gomers, why waste your money and pallette on this beer? Again not trying to start a flame war, but I would be interested in hearing other's thoughts on what I've said.

  6. Andy, I really like Free State beers, but your taste is your taste. There's nothing wrong with that.

    However, I think we (Kansas Citians) have a fondness for it for 2 reasons. 1. Free State is a lot of college kids' first taste of a microbrew. It's in their college town, it's just a part of KU and Lawrence culture (no matter how repellant that might be). So when they move away to KC they long for it, it's a taste of home or a taste of their favorite years.

    2. It's just never been available to drink at home unless you got a growler. It's like when Chik-fil-a came to town, all of the people who had grown up eating Chik-fil-a couldn't wait to eat there. When it finally opened, we ate there 2 or 3 times in a week. Now, we don't go back for over a month. Maybe once Free State has been available for a couple of months, some of the hubbub will be gone about it. But, for now, it's the best because it's new.

    I know I've enjoyed every Free State beer (at least their year round beers) that I've had. Only time will tell whether I'm still getting sixers of it in 3 months.

  7. I can't speak to the previous 18 years of Free State's history but the reason it has taken so long to get bottles in KC is that the original bottling line Free State was using, a year and a half or two years ago, caught fire and burned down.

    I hate all things KU but I do like Free State. Part of it has to be the restaurant but they do make some quality beers. I've really enjoyed the last couple special releases they've done. Hopefully they'll start bottling those in the nearish future.

  8. I think it's definitely above-average beer. Unfortunately, I don't think they're bottling Stormwatch, which would have been the best of the 5. It's essentially a brown with the Copperhead IPA hop recipe. Sorta like Boulder's Flashback...

  9. While not in downtown proper, it is available on tap just around the corner at 76th and Metcalf , around the corner in the place formerly known as 76th Peanut.