Wednesday, February 10, 2010


Glissade n. - 1. A gliding step in ballet
2. A controlled slide, in either a standing or sitting position, used in descending a steep icy or snowy incline.

I am neither a ballerina nor a mountain climber so I had no idea what in the hell the Glissade referred to when I picked up a sixer of Sierra Nevada Glissade. I was a little worried that glissade was some sort of joke around the Sierra Nevada brewery that the brewers slipped past the marketing people.

Glissade n. 1. A drink concocted by putting a funnel in a person's mouth and having 2 people pee in the funnel.

Thankfully it doesn't taste like what I imagined a glissade was. Sierra Nevada describes the Glissade as a golden bock (a style I had never heard of before last night) but Beer Advocate calls it a maibock. I have no idea if the 2 terms are synonymous and I don't really care. It pours out a nice golden color with a healthy white head and smells a little like a biscuit. The Glissade has a nice malty taste with just a hint of hops in the bitterness at the back of your throat. I think I could have done without that. But even with the bitterness it's a very drinkable beer, it might make a nice springtime cookout beer (it's Sierra Nevada's spring seasonal). I think it will have just the right taste drinking it from the bottle in the sunshine with a light jacket on (maybe May at this point).I don't know if I would feel comfortable ordering it in a bar though for fear of getting my imagined definition of glissade.

Interestingly, at least to me, Boulevard is releasing a golden bock sometime soon. The Wine and Cheese Place in St. Louis posted the bottle labels this morning. It's called Boss Tom's Golden Bock and is named for Tom Pendergast. It's a shame we haven't had a Pendergast named beer in KC yet. He represents a time when Democrats had balls and were as corrupt as the day is long. A better time, to be sure, than now when the Democrats are just corrupt (EQUAL TIME: So are the Republicans). UPDATE: Boss Tom's is the maibock that has been a spring tap only seasonal in previous years.


  1. I wonder if it's the same maibock Boulevard have had out in kegs the past two years or something new.

  2. Well I know they were brewing 3 600BBL batches of the "Maibock" this year and were saying they were going to bottle it. I would venture to say this is the Maibock...

  3. Yes, that is confirmed. It is the "Maibock" but with a name that will keep people from asking for a 'mailbox' on the tours. (Can't think of the other names people called it...)

  4. Yes, golden bock=maibock. I picked up a sixer of that along with Ranger IPA last week and I'll let you guess which of the two I'll not be buying again. SN is a helluva brewery and I'm glad they can produce lagers of equal quality as their ales. I'd love to see a marzen style come out sometime.

  5. Probably can't get it anymore this year, but if you can track down an Abita Mardi Gras Back, grab it. Similar to Glissade. I drank a bunch this winter.

  6. Whoops, that should have been Mardi Gras Bock, not Back.

  7. Have to say, I'm pretty excited to start drinking lighter beers...winter has gone on too long (and way too long with Nutcracker gone).

    Am looking forward to exploring the Maibocks/Golden Bocks -- not many have been available in bottles until, apparently, now.

  8. Brandon, I've heard that the Ranger IPA is actually pretty good on tap. That fact doesn't get the last 3 in my sixer drank, but it makes me feel better about NB.

    Lee, Abita doesn't sell that well up here so the Mardi Gras Bock is still around at stores that carry more than one Abita. I've seen it a couple of times, I just don't get excited about anything Abita, certainly not for a German style Abita.