Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Schlafly Imperial Stout Tapping and Vertical Tasting at Waldo Pizza


You've probably seen Schlafly's Imperial Stout at the liquor store before. It comes in a 750ml bottle packaged in a brown box labeled "Schlafly Reserve." If that's as close as you've ever come to having the Imperial Stout then you're definitely missing out. I won't drop any spoilers, but it's over ten percent alcohol and was aged in bourbon barrels.

It's been about a year since I've had my first bottle of this Imperial Stout, so I got really excited when I heard Schlafly's Gary Briggs is bringing a keg of it to Waldo Pizza tomorrow night. That's not all though, as if a keg of bourbon barrel aged Imperial Stout isn't enough to get you down to Waldo, consider this - they're doing a vertical tasting of the '06, '07 and '08 Imperial Stouts as well... Still not convinced it'll be worth the price of admission? What if I told you there was no cover, no tickets, and no reservations necessary? Maybe it's just me, but this sounds like a like a great way to guarantee a Thursday morning hangover.

Sure, it's a Wednesday night and it's Waldo... but it's not often you have a genuinely good excuse to drink this much Stout in one place.

8 comments:

  1. plan on heading by - who else is gonna be here?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sons w girlfriends & my wife and I may drop in. I'll be the old guy with a Hopslam grin.
    btw, Bigfoot is back in town, too

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely want to head over but don't know anyone else who will be there...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beer good. Thanks for the heads up.


    I found that the '06, '07, '08 and '09 where all very distinctive.

    JeffO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where is this Bigfoot sighting?

    ReplyDelete
  6. My preference was for the 09 as I like a roasty Imperial Stout and this one does not have enough roast to seem roasty aged.

    08 had little roast left, lots of alcohol, one dimensional.

    07 seemed sweet and was distinctly more carbonated than the others.

    06 was very smooth and had some interesting oxidation character (nutty, vinous).

    My thinking is that the beer is great fresh and if you are going to age it you have to give it enough time to develop some complexity. The 06 was probably the peak (though there was no 05 to confirm this) so three years sounds about right.

    ReplyDelete
  7. AJ, with Lukas in MC, says Bigfoot 2009/2010 has arrived!
    From Waldo's event, I enjoyed visiting w Gary and Donnie: Thank you for the presentation. I too liked the 2009 and the 2006 Imperial stout samples.
    Gary mentioned that the 2006 aged awhile in some Makers Mark barrels.
    I have a photo: how do I upload or insert it here?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ted, if you can't get your picture posted you can email it to me and I'll add it to the post.

    bythepint@gmail.com

    cheers

    ReplyDelete