Changes at Boulevard

I took a tour of the recently re-modeled Boulevard this weekend and was pretty impressed with the changes. Rather than sitting through a video in the gift shop, you now hit the ground running while watching video snippets as they apply to the different portions of the brewery. Everything looks great, and the flow seems to be better. I especially like the stop in the barrel-aging room for the Smokestack series. If you've never been on a tour, or haven't been in a while, it's definitely worth checking out.

One of the more noticeable changes on the tour was the addition of sample tokens, which were on a test run on Saturday. Boulevard is the only brewery I've been to that never restricted samples, so it wasn't all that surprising of a CYA move.


During the tour, our guide mentioned the Lunar Ale will soon be moving off of taps to strictly bottles. The only real question I have is, "Where is at actually on tap at?" Lunar seems to grow on me every time I try it, but I never really go out of my way to make that happen. I would imagine they will try to replace Lunar with another offering at those locations with it on tap, but I have no idea what that might be.

Finally, Boulevard has been selling a couple wines for a while in their gift shop, a Viognier and Chardonnay. On this visit, I noticed a Cabernet Franc featuring the Pipjak label that will be the line's brand name. Pipjak is a reference to the two children of Boulevard owner John McDonald. I bought a couple bottles but have yet to crack them open to give any kind of opinion.

Other Popular Posts on KC Beer Blog