Thursday, August 6, 2009

Zona Rosa BrewFest

Next Saturday, August 15th, Zona Rosa will be hosting the first ever BrewFest sponsored by Unico Kansas City. Unico is apparently an Italian-American service organization, and I would like to commend them for presenting the event since Italians hardly ever craft a beer worth drinking.

The event runs from 3 to 9PM. If you are looking for something to do prior to the event, there is free face painting in the Children's Park from 1 to 4PM. As is pretty standard at these events, your admittance fee will net you a free tasting glass to enjoy your 4oz beer samples in. Tickets are $25 at the gate, or you can get a $5 discount by hitting up Zona Rosa guest services from now until Friday, August 14th.

I would hope they might have some decent food offerings, since Zona Rosa seems to be 75% restaurants. But if the KC Beerfest has taught me anything the past two years, it's that beer festival organizers generally suck at coordinating food to go with all the alcohol your body is absorbing. There will be two bands at the event: Grand Marquis and the Blue Shakers. Grand Marquis is a local jazz band and not to be confused with Brother Marquis of 2 Live Crew fame.

12 comments:

  1. Unico has done some Italian Fests up at Zona Rosa, so I would think the food should be better than most fests. The beer will have a large MillerCoors and ABInbev representation. I hope it does well enough for there to be another fest. Never hurts to have another beer fest

    ReplyDelete
  2. "since Italians hardly ever craft a beer worth drinking."
    Wow. Please insert foot in mouth, because Italy has a diverse craft beer scene that is growing everyday. Just because you can't get a lot of the beer Italians make here in the states yet, doesn't mean there aren't a multitude of badass brews. Do some research and you will be enlightened...
    One link that will help:
    http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/11/02/travel/02Beer.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baladin is really good from Italy but the Xyauyu I bought was quite expensive. From what I've seen Italian-Americans are more proud of other things than their beer tradition. Probably have to go to Italy to try one of their good brews. Anyway, I will not be attending the Zona Rosa brewfest, but not because of Italians :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I prefer doing research by actually drinking over reading blowhard travel articles. I am American, sir. Things do not exist unless presented directly to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honestly, your retort blows hard. The link is one example of many to illustrate the emerging scene there. Have I tried many of these rare Italian beers? No. I do however trust friends, colleagues, veteran beer authors such as Stan Hieronymous, and yes, the NY Times to at the very least inform me that Italy HAS a large craft scene emerging. One can do research utilizing input from reliable sources without actually being physically presented with the subject in question. I'm American too, but your logic is flawed. I don't need dead Iraqis and dead US soldiers on my doorstep to know they exist.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll tell you what Griddlestacks, why don't you scour the site and point out every joke that may have an inaccuracy in it. In the meantime, we'll just keep trying to entertain and inform. I'm pretty sure that our readers will rather read our efforts than your criticisms of our jokes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You ask for drunken rants, what do you expect?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like funny drunken rants not Cliff Claven drunken rants.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, go ahead and delete my comments if you don't like it Norm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There's no deleting going on here, in the words of Dean Martin "just trying to have a little fun". Maybe we'll just go back to making fun of the Germans.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don't forget the Irish! Seriously though, I like to have fun too, but there's nothing wrong with some open dialogue here and there, I think that can be pretty entertaining as well. Everyone has a different sense of humor, I merely wanted to point out the facts. I may have been a bit brash in doing so, but hey its a "free" country.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Zona Rosa beer fest kind of sucked, mostly due to the pouring rain, but also due to a pretty poor selection of beers from craft breweries, and a poor layout of beer tents. Oh yeah, and poor food selection. They did have crazy weird types of Sam Adams though.

    ReplyDelete