Saison-Watson


Like much of Kansas City, I spent my Sunday morning watching one of the most amazing sporting feats I've ever seen, a 59 year old Tom Watson leading the British Open. I like golf but I don't watch it much, mostly only majors. The British Open is my favorite of the majors to watch because it's so unlike the golf you usually see and play. I was thrilled that Tom Watson was winning the tournament.

As it became more and more clear that Tom Watson was, if not win, come damn close, I was trying to come up with some way to celebrate. I decided to pop open one of my bottles of 2008 Saison-Brett. At some point I need to drink them and if I don't do it now (when a Kansas Citian wins a major championship that would dominate headlines for days to come and serve as THE example that old people still can compete) when will I do it.

Of course things didn't turn out the way I was hoping and Tom basically let the championship slip away. But you know what? A Kansas Citian just had a tournament that will be talked about for years to come and will still be an example of oldsters being able to compete. It was still worth celebrating. So I went to my secret stash and got one of my Saison-Bretts.

This is the first somewhat aged Saison-Bretts that I've had. Since I'm a fan of them reasonably fresh (as is Steven Pauwels, Boulevard's brewer), I was hoping that I would like the aged one just as much.

When I popped the cork and poured it, it foamed wildly. I had about 2/3 a glass of head and 1/3 glass of liquid. I didn't remember the Brett being that wild, but looking back on what I wrote when I first had it, I think it was pretty normal. It's been about a month since I had a bottle of Saison-Brett, but I didn't notice much taste difference between the old and new. I'll have to do a side by side test some other time. This Brett was to be savored along with Tom Watson's near victory.

Other Popular Posts on KC Beer Blog