Friday, June 5, 2009

The Case of the Missing Stout

It was a normal evening in the Vard mansion when the mystery began. Stella had picked up a Boulevard variety pack and loaded it into the refrigerator adding to the couple of bottles of Single Wide IPA already there. Over the next couple of days I drank the Bully Porters with hamburgers, drank a couple of Single Wides with some salsa and had a Wheat after I mowed. Stella drank the Lunar Ales and Pale Ales.

One night I simply had to go to bed because I wasn't feeling very well. I had sneezed most of the day and couldn't keep my eyes open. Stella wasn't ready for bed yet and decided to stay up to watch the Real Housewives of New Jersey.

A couple of days later Stella bought another Boulevard variety pack and loaded up the refrigerator. As she was loading it I noticed there was no Boulevard Dry Stout. I hadn't drank them, where could they be. I thought it odd that they weren't there because Stella isn't much of a stout drinker. Where could the stouts have gone?

A. Stella drank them while I was asleep
B. The mailman drank them while I was at work
C. Boulevard puts Single Wide in the variety pack instead of Dry Stout
D. One of the kids drank them

If you guessed B you must know my mailman, but you'd be incorrect. Stella or the kids didn't drink them. C is the correct answer, Dry Stout has been thrown out of the variety pack in lieu of the Single Wide IPA.

I don't know if they will switch it back in the winter months or if this is a permanent change. But I did find it interesting.

6 comments:

  1. It shames me to say so but that's one Blvd beer I won't necessarily miss from the variety packs. It's a fine example of what is, imo, a very pedestrian style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look's like I'm going to start buying variety packs then. There is not lunar in them right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find it interesting that the Porter would stay and not the Stout. My impression is that the porter is the least-consumed (and by FAR least-appreciated) beer in their lineup.

    In fact, I went to a pizza place this past Thursday before my softball games. At the bar, they had their selection of bottles on display, so I ordered a Bully Porter. The bartender checked and said, "Nope. Don't have any." He took the bottle off the shelf and threw it away. Turns out they ordered ONE CASE of it when they opened...back in September...and they just ran out last week.

    The stout's fine, but it's not terribly interesting. Ironically, that's why I thought it would stay in the mix over the porter.

    Either way, it beats the old variety pack: 2 wheat, 2 pale, and one each of the stout, porter, lunar, and seasonal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have thought the Lunar would go and not the stout. I don't really think either is that great and I'm not going to miss the stout too much, but a lot of people actively despise the Lunar.

    We buy the variety pack so Stella can have some of the Lunar. She likes it, but a sixer is just too many Lunars.

    It would be a tragedy for Boulevard to dump the Porter out of the pack. People need to drink it because it is the most underrated Boulevard beer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree on leaving the Porter in, I'll take that over the Stout any day. Porters in general are like the little beer that could, a very under-appreciated and under-represented style imo.

    Maybe if some self-important west-coast brewery would start making a limited release "double" or "imperial" porter with a grim reaper or skulls or some other asinine label, other breweries would catch on and bring the style to the forefront of the beer public's eye. Then it's only a matter of time before Sam Adam's makes a Blueberry Porter or some other manner of jackassery...wait, is that what we want? Maybe the porter's charm is it's relative lack of popularity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rogue has an Imperial Porter (it's actually wonderful and comes in a cool bottle), and Sam Adams makes a honey porter (it blows and has little business calling itself a porter).

    Pretty much what you were saying!

    ReplyDelete