Monday, December 1, 2008

Saucer Bell's

The Flying Saucer will be hosting a beer tasting featuring Bell ’s Brewery Monday, Dec. 8 at 7 p.m.

The event will be hosted by Jim O’Connor, a territory manager for Bell’s Brewery. O’Connor will host the two-hour tasting, which will feature six of Bell ’s Brewery’s beers – the Third Coast Old Ale, the Porter, the Kalamazoo Stout, the Special Double Cream Stout, the Cherry Stout and the Expedition Stout. The beers will be paired with four select cheeses and a dessert. Tickets for the event can be purchased at The Flying Saucer and are $30 for U.F.O. Club members and $35 for non-members.

For my money, Bell's, is one of the premier brewer in the country and this tasting may well be worth your while. A lot of dark beers on the docket for the evening, although I can probably do without the cherry beer.

2 comments:

  1. I fully agree with your assessment of Bell's - they do some really great stuff. Unfortunately, I think you're also correct in your trepidation related to the cherry beer. I had it a few years ago and the cherry flavor overwhelmed the beer. Maybe they've retooled since then.

    I'd like to hear what you think of the Expedition Stout. It is an INTENSE imperial stout...much heavier than Rasputin or Yeti.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I moved here from Holland, MI, about an hour away from some of the best breweries in the world. Gee, was I spoiled up there or what? Bell's is AWESOME. They don't make a bad beer, although they are really well known for their stouts. The Expedition Stout is incredible. Probably one of my top 5 beers ever. One of my friends fancies himself a "stout guy" (drinks Guiness) and I gave him a sip of my Expedition at the Drop one night and it almost knocked him off his chair. Nothing can prepare you for how much flavor it has. Most places serve it a little cold, though, so let it sit a while.

    I am not a fan of heavily flavored beers, either, but I like the Cherry Stout. It's not what I expected at all... the cherry is DEFINITELY in your face, but it works well with the stout flavors and it is pretty tart rather than really sweet. It's still a palate-buster, though, so I'd save it for last. I think having it close to room temp in a snifter is the way to go. A little goes a long way.

    Tw-Hearted is one of the best IPA's out there, too.

    ReplyDelete