Monday, December 1, 2008

Goose Island's Mild Winter


The title sounds a bit like a post on a travel blog, but instead, it's a wonderful beer. How great is that? I ran across this fine beer this afternoon on my weekly Monday liquor store run and I'm always excited for a Goose. I didn't quite know what to expect from a beer called a mild winter. When I got home tonight, I fixed up some leftovers for dinner. I had some flank steak, mac and cheese and fajita peppers and onions. I made a quick stir fry of the vegetables and flank steak slices and poured my Mild Winter Ale.

It poured a mahogony color and had just a hint of a hop smell. I didn't know what to expect from a beer labeled mild. As someone who is always seeking the bold or the spicy, mild is not exactly a selling point, it reminds me of Wayne Brady. But, you know what, Wayne Brady sure did make me laugh on "Chappelle's Show" (is Wayne Brady going to have to choke a bitch?") and mild can taste pretty damn good too. The mild winter has a very nice malty taste, not too sweet and has a really nice full flavor. I didn't learn until later (even though it says it has rye in it on the label) that the taste I was enjoying was rye, the most underutilized ingredient in brewing. I love rye beers just like I love raspberries, they almost never disappoint. And disappoint is not a word I would use to describe the Goose Island Mild Winter.

Sitting here typing this, I can't think of 3 better winter beers. I'd probably go with Nutcracker at 1 and Sierra Nevada Celebration at 2 and Goose Island Mild Winter at 3 for the 6 pack, everyday beer varieties. Winter beers are my favorites, so this is pretty high praise for me. I found myself cracking open a second one while typing this out and for a beer weighing in at 5.6% ABV, a second one this early (6:15) doesn't signal great things for the rest of my evening. But, at least I'm going to enjoy it.

BTW, this beer was released today and from a cursory examination of the internet, I think I'm safe in saying that this is the first review for the Goose Island Mild Winter that mentions Wayne Brady.

6 comments:

  1. I have been enjoying this fresh at the pub. For a malt dominate beer it is very drinkable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really should try Deschutes' Jubelale, it's my favorite part of winter

    ReplyDelete
  3. have you ever tried jubelale from deschutes? i'm not sure if it's available in the midwest, but it's one of the most popular winter beers in oregon/pacific northwest. if you see it, give it a whirl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. frickin syzlak stole my thunder. sorry, bull.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought I had gotten hit by some weird strand of comment spam from the fine folks at Deschutes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We got samples of mild winter in at the warehouse. It is tasty, indeed.

    ReplyDelete