Monday, November 10, 2008

Nutella Brown Ale

On my recent trip to the liquor store where I was tasked with bringing home winter seasonals, I picked up a sixer of Leinenkugel's Fireside Nut Brown Ale. I had never seen the beer before but I'm not an expert on Leinenkugel's or anything.

I popped one open and noticed a chocolaty scent. I wasn't expecting that. On my first taste, I noticed chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate. It was overpowering. I have that complaint about Schlafly that they hit one taste note and it overpowers everything else, well this beer was like that. But, it wasn't just the one note of chocolate, it had some hazelnut in it as well. Drinking the Fireside Nut Brown Ale is a bit like eating a bagel with Nutella, except, you know, you're not really eating a bagel. It doesn't even really taste like beer.

Don't get me wrong here, it's not a bad drink, it's not even a bad beer, there's nothing wrong with the flavors, it's just not what I'm looking for in a beer. It's what I'm looking for in a bagel topping. It would make a fine syrup if I were to reduce it down. It's sweet, chocolaty and smoky (roast hazelnut). If you like those flavors in a beer, Leinenkugel's Fireside Nut Brown Ale is for you.

This is a new beer for Leinenkugels this year and I don't think it has any staying power. I hope they try again next year and brew something that tastes like beer.


  1. Their winter seasonal is normally an apple spice, which I completely love. I'm hoping they just replaced it with the nut brown this year because last year's apple crop was so awful it was too expensive to brew.

    As I said in the previous post, this beer already exists in the O'Fallon Cherry Chocolate. That being said, I will probably drink more of this and possibly use it in some sweet potatoes like they recommend. I normally use the apple spice to make a jello mold.

  2. I think Chimpotle and I are looking to form a beer-drinking table and I think the release of Boulevard's Bourbon Barrel in December would be a great time to start it. Does that sound like something you'd be down for?

  3. Always, you guys know how to get a hold of me.

    BBQ isn't coming out until January.

  4. I have it on Boulevard's word it will be December 1st. A beer distributor that's closer to the company said he thinks the chances are "about 75%" by December 1st.

  5. I am finishing my last Fireside and I agree this isn't my favorite but it was a different taste for beer. Interesting to say the least.

    Taste like a flaming dr. pepper imho.

    Keep reviewing!