Thursday, April 3, 2008

Famous Dave's Happy Hour

Although I wasn't too excited for F.D.'s in the Power and Light District, I have already been three times, and have completely LOVED it. They have the greatest pulled pork sandwiches I've had in quite some time. Their staff has been very conscientious each time, never allowing my beer glass to get below 3/4 empty before offering another (and that's important when you drink as fast as I do).

While most restaurants bring out a basket of bread, or a bowl of chips before the meal, Dave's brings out some browned potato wedges and then takes you on a whirlwind tour of their table-side hot sauces. The creative aspect of this presentation reminds me of ordering a "beer sampler" from the 75th Street Brewery. However, at F.D.'s you're sampling barbecue sauces instead of beer. Maybe I can convince them to come up with some "Beer-B-Que" sauces instead? No, you're right. Probably not.

FAMOUS DAVE'S

Address: 131 E. 14th St.

Phone: 816-471-3700

What: Chain restaurant known for its pit barbecue.

Fare: Barbecue

Price: Platters are $10-$12; slabs $12-$22

Notable: Casual, family-friendly joint. Hickory-smoked ribs, barbecued meats and burgers.

Hours: 11 a.m.-10 p.m. Sunday through Thursday, 11 a.m.-10 p.m. Friday and Saturday

Web site: famousdaves.com

4 comments:

  1. is downtown location decorated as a lodge like the one in KCK? my kid thought it was creepy. I still like Danny Edwards better. I also ate Jackstack twice this week and it's so horribly overpriced it's not even funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes the downtown one is lodge like, but very new so it may not be as creepy? I agree Jack Stack is a bit pricey… you should try Arthur Bryant’s at 1727 Brooklyn Ave. They have excellent BBQ and huge portions at a good price. The restaurant is pretty bare bones, but it’s great people watching, which you will have plenty of time to do while waiting in the line stretching out the door during prime time hours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still can't believe they didn't put a local BBQ joint in the Power and Light District. We talk about how great our BBQ is and we put a chain in our new entertainment district? I refuse to go there. Their pulled pork doesn't touch Oklahoma Joe's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The local guys can't afford the rent. PnL is franchise territory ONLY.

    It's as though McDonalds and Wesport had sex and PnL is their love-child.

    ReplyDelete