Thursday, March 20, 2008

VOTE for a Healthier KC!

As states and communities throughout the nation (including major suburban cities in the Kansas City area) continue to become smoke free, Kansas City is poised to follow suit on Tuesday, April 8.

Kansas City Question 3 is a citizens-driven, smoke free city ordinance that if approved by voters will require enclosed public places and workspaces, including restaurants and bars, to become smoke free June 30, 2008.

More than 6,000 registered voters in Kansas City signed petitions to place this issue on the ballot. It is supported by the American Cancer Society, American Heart Association, American Lung Association, Regional Health Alliance, Greater Kansas City Health Council, and other respected health and community organizations and leaders.

You Have the Right to Breathe Clean Air

There is no longer a question about the dangers of smoking and breathing secondhand smoke. It is unhealthy and it kills. This ordinance will protect everyone from the dangers of secondhand smoke, which contains more than 4,000 chemicals, including cancer-causing substances like formaldehyde, cyanide, carbon monoxide and arsenic.

This law will allow people with health problems like heart disease and asthma to work in a smoke free environment, and enjoy Kansas City’s restaurants and bars without putting their health at risk.

This ballot initiative is supported by doctors, nurses and other health care professionals who realize how dangerous it is to breathe secondhand smoke.

6 comments:

  1. Totally agree with and support a ban -- back in MSP we've had it in place for sometime - and even as a former smoker - it's nice to not have it in the area...

    but I am confused as to why Casino's are exempted -- and if clean air is vital why not everywehre?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because the Casino's have the money to fight it...instead they'll just penalize small businesses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so sad.

    There was a time not that long ago when we would not have stood for depriving property owners of their rights without a clear and present or imminent danger to be remedied. Now we revel in the tyranny of the majority.

    RIP Liberty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm going to vote against it just because you used those stupid fucking colors on that banner.

    /you suck

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you don't want to be around smokers, don't go where they haven't posted no smoking signs. Why try to push laws on everyone?
    I hate sitting next to fat people, as a matter of fact it repulses me to even see them in public. We should only allow fat people to come out in public if they have on loose fitting burkas.
    Oh,, and people who drink beer! They should test everyone for beer! And maybe a year in jail will straighten them out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 100% right. Why should the 20% who smoke dictate where the other 80% can safely go without having to inhale toxins and carcinogens. I'm more than a little bit tired of smokers claiming that it's some kind of freedom or right to pollute the indoor air. Smoke outside where you don't have a negative impact on others!

    ReplyDelete