If I Could Turn Back Time


Not to quote Cher or anything but if I could turn back time, I would have hidden a little piece of my bounty a little better. I had brought some 12 oz. beers up to the upstairs fridge on Friday night so I could drink them at my leisure without having to go downstairs. But, one small hitch happened to that plan; we were having people over for my daughters' birthday party on Saturday.

My heart sank when I saw my father in law drinking the Great Divide Saint Bridgets Porter that I was saving. We bought plenty of Boulevard and New Belgium beers for everyone so I didn't give my treasure beers a second thought until I saw him drinking it.

I didn't realize just how grave my error was until I finally cracked open a St Bridgets. Porters are one of my favorite styles of beer and are not brewed by most breweries. I was certainly looking forward to a great style from a great brewery, Great Divide. I was not disappointed.

It poured out coal black with a small light tan head. It looked gorgeous. It had a nice chocolatey coffee nose with a hint of hops thrown in. The taste was of an excellent porter (really no one who makes one makes a bad one in my book) with chocolate, bready and coffee tastes. It had a good amount of carbonation and had a great medium bodied mouthfeel. I can't say anything bad about this beer other than I wish I had more.

On a related note, one of my guests, let's call him Keystone Light, grabbed a Bully Porter and proclaimed to everyone that he hadn't had on of these in a long time. Someone inquired what it was and he said it was a stout. I told him it wasn't a stout, it was a porter and he said that it's about the same thing. I was aghast. It means the beer geek's work is never done and we must explain that a porter gets its color from the black malt used whereas a stout gets its color from roasted malt and barley. Sometimes this beer thing is like explaining NPR to someone who watches 10 hours of Speed channel daily.

Other Popular Posts on KC Beer Blog