Friday, March 9, 2012

B4TW - Tallgrass 8-Bit Pale Ale

To put it bluntly, I'm a nerd. So when the label for Tallgrass 8-Bit Pale Ale was first released, the NES ROM-playing, Excitebike-revving geek inside of me thought it was great that they were paying homage to old school video games with their newest beer's can artwork. Of course, the beer skeptic inside of me balanced this excitement out, knowing that, ultimately, the cool factor of this beer would lie in how it tasted.

One of the notable things about 8-Bit Pale Ale is that it's brewed with Galaxy Hops. Galaxy Hops are an Australian hop variety known for having a citrusy aroma and flavor. My first experience with Galaxy Hops was in the Schlafly No. 20 Volume 4 Southern Hemisphere IPA. I was very impressed by that beer and really enjoyed the clean citrus taste, so when I saw that 8-Bit was going to use it as well, I looked forward to seeing how it worked in a pale ale in conjunction with other hop varieties (the Schlafly ONLY used Galaxy).

Fast forward to last week when I finally had the chance to try their Galaxy-infused pale ale, and sure enough, the beer impressed me almost as much as the fantastic can. Clean, easy drinking, hoppy with a touch of sweetness and tropical fruit. At 5.2% ABV, this may technically be a touch high to be considered a session beer, but I could definitely see myself having a few cans of this, especially this weekend while being lazy and watching college basketball (and who knows, maybe breaking out Battletoads during breaks).

Tallgrass 8-Bit Pale Ale hit most store shelves in the KC area yesterday, so go out and grab yourself some. Or, if you'll be out and about at the bars watching games, I know it's been spotted at Barley's (note that Shawnee location is currently closed for renovation) so you can go grab one on tap if you prefer.

And until you go pick some up, make sure to check out the video they released yesterday to correspond with the release of the beer. Certainly the best melding of puppets, video games and beer I've ever seen, and just a great promo piece overall.



13 comments:

  1. Does anyone know if this is a seasonal release or year round??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm under the impression that it is a year-round offering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had 8-Bit out of a can, poured into a glass, last night and thought it was bland. I got no citrus aroma/flavor like I've heard about. Pretty disappointed given the rave reviews I've seen on the Twitter. I haven't had it on tap, so maybe there's a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting, yeah, I tried it on tap obviously but am planning on picking some up after work. Curious to see how the can compares now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clint w/ NKC BevMarch 9, 2012 at 4:21 PM

    It is a year round release. You can also find it on tap at Martin City Brewing on the MO side

    ReplyDelete
  6. Has anyone seen this in KS shops? I had it at Barley's a couple of weeks ago and thought it was great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just wait till some nut job family marketing prude group catches wind of this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The canned one I had was plenty hoppy but someone needs to hide the Victory malt from them. Tastes like a New Belgium beer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tried it tonight and I have to say its very disappointing. It is not citrusy. Very bland. Its just another pale ale

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had this at the brewery, in Manhattan, and here in KC. The tap at the brewery was fantastic and super fresh hoppy, and the Manhattan can was similar. The one I had so far out of my 4 pack at home was nothing like the other two. I don't know what happened, but the predominant flavor was the caramally Victory malt flavor John mentioned. I hope they figure out this issue (or maybe it was a distributor issue?) b/c the orginal beer was pretty damn good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know this thread is a few days old, but the comments about the Victory malt are very interesting. I had this at the Kansas Craft Brewer's Expo and after my first taste, I immediately thought hoppy Fat Tire. Now I know why.

    ReplyDelete
  12. trekking in nepal, nepal trekking http://www.nepalholidaystrek.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. 8-bit is on a guest tap at McCoy's in Westport. It was quite tasty, maybe a bit too hoppy to order a second glass tho.

    ReplyDelete