Monday, August 29, 2011

Tailgating at RJ's

Like the Chiefs? Don't have tickets to the game or want to watch a road game with like minded Chiefs fans? RJ's Bob-be-que in Mission has a great deal for gamedays starting with the last exhibition game this Thursday. $25 gets you 5 drink tickets (update: this includes all bottles, draws and well drinks; on tap will be Free State, Sam Adams and Spaten Octoberfests as well as Boulevard Wheat and Boston Lager) plus a buffet with chips and dips, hot dogs, burgers, ribs, wings and sides and a good seat for the Chiefs game on the RJ's patio.

RJ's is one of my favorite places in town namely because it's pretty close to my house and they have very good barbecue, it's my chosen neighborhood bar. $25 for 5 beers and all you can eat ribs and wings during a football game is a great deal. RJ's also has a pretty good beer selection so you're not going to be forced to choke down Bud Light or Miller Lite. You'll be able to watch the Chiefs with some Free State on tap, Boulevard and Tallgrass. The bottled beer selection, while not wide ranging, is certainly more extensive than any other barbecue restaurant in town and more extensive than can typically be found in Mission (though I've heard the new bar in the former JJ's Other Place spot, Sully's, is trying to be a little more beer centric than its predecessor). 

I'm not sure if this is the best deal in town, but it does seem really cheap for the amount of beer and all you can eat ribs (and really good ribs at that). If you know of any Chiefs gameday specials that rival this leave it in comments. The RJ's tailgate parties start 1 hour before game time.

13 comments:

  1. hmm... the Chiefs do play the Bears this year...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just gotta say as an anonymous lurker of your blog who lives within walking distance of RJ's... it sorta creeps me out to know I might drive or even walk past your house everyday.

    That is all-

    ReplyDelete
  3. If they don't have Lagunitas there then forget it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gotta check out RJ's some day. It is on the very short list of notable BBQ joints we have not gotten to yet.

    I'll be sure to sit on your lawn or whatever it is that works you Johnson County folks up so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To the Lurker who-shuns-due-to-no-Laugunitas.....If you bring it in, Big D will allow it(hell, he'll sample it with you)....Secondly, the "drink ticket" deal will include all bottles, draws, and well cocktails. Our draw selection will include Sam Adams Oktober, Free State Oktober, and most likely Spaaten Oktober, and including boring old Boulevard Wheat and Sam Adams Boston Lager. The Free State Oktober is available NOW if you ask for it...WOW they have Shitty Beer On-Tap there...Someone get me a Mich-Ultra Agave-Lime Stat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous lurker, I don't live within walking distance of RJ's (well I do, but it would be a long walk). Further, you'd have to really go out of your way to pass my house on a daily basis, there's simply no reason to be on my street unless you live on it.

    John, it's a really good place not just the barbecue. I love the bison empanadas and the pan seared trout dish they have. They also have the best breakfast in town on Saturday and Sunday mornings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I go to RJ's a lot. As an anonymous lurker to your bloger webpage site I'm wondering if we've ever been at RJ's at the same time. Maybe we've even made eye contact and not known it. Maybe I've smelt your musk and not been aware that it was the musk of one Bull E. Vard.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes I just pic out a random person at RJ's and imagine that that person writes this blog. I imagine ordering a Free State Tallgrass and having it sent to their table. Then they would truly appreciate my great taste in beer, even if it doesn't have a Vortex neck. But I never do that because that would be creepy, right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. Nice work, Big D. It's as if you provided a comment card to me and only me and asked, "What would get you down here for a Chiefs game?"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Will never go back to RJ's. There is NO glory hole as advertised. And the Chiefs suck. It's pretty cool that Guy Fieri ate there though. Triple D for LIFE!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This could be a nice change from my usual routine. You know, sitting in my driveway, watching the game on the 19" TV in my garage, while eating SuperPretzel Softstix and drinking ice cold beer (once the mountains turn blue, of course).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not to be pedantic, but this place isn't really a shack.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're the one who makes me come running. You're the sun who makes me shine. When you're around I'm always laughing. I want to make you mine. I close my eyes And see you before me. Think I would die If you were to ignore me. A fool could see just how much I adore you. I get down on my knees. I do anything for you.

    ReplyDelete