Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Mediocrity and Douchebaggery

I know, I know, I'm a day or two late with this, but Famous Dave's is officially coming back to the P&L. We had a couple of nice discussions here about what we would like to see in that spot. But, as per usual, the Power and Light district shoots for mediocrity and no imagination. I can't say I'm surprised.

On the bright side, it is now easier for me to use my Famous Dave's gift card.

For more mediocrity and douchebaggery visit the P&L on St. Patricks Day:

Tuesday, March 17

Shamrocks & Shenanigans

St. Patrick’s Day in Downtown Kansas City is the newest addition to one of Kansas City ’s favorite traditions! Come down to see an AMAZING line up of live entertainment and music.

The party kicks off at 6 a.m. with KEGS & EGGS at McFadden’s, with 96.5 the BUZZ broadcasting live.

The NON-STOP festivities continue throughout the day as 96.5 The Buzz presents SHAMROCKS & SHENANIGANS, a FREE day-long Irish and rock music festival. Check out the full line up below.


Show begins at 11 AM







KC Live! is HOME to two of Kansas City ’s biggest and BEST Irish bars: McFadden’s and Raglan Road Irish Pub. Grab some Irish fare at Raglan Road and check out the crazy games and contests at McFadden’s, or enjoy green beer and great music at KC Live! Shamrocks and Shenanigans, the newest St. Patrick’s Day tradition at KC Live! in the Power & Light District!

The name of this thing alone, makes me want to find someone with a popped collar and kick them in the balls.


  1. If I may say so, I would really like to see Silversun Pickups, especially for free. However, I agree with all of your points. I would not set foot in the general vicinity of P&L if they are starting the drinking at 6 a.m.

    By the way, though it could go with out saying, giving a bar an Irish surname does not then make it an Irish bar.

    One time I saw a girl's vagina on the bar at McFadden's. It was hands down the most absurd, obscene thing I'd ever seen in public (outside of Amsterdam), could not believe I was in K.C.

    Though I like vajeen, I hate faux Irish places.

  2. Thanks for reminding me Scott, I did not mean to imply that there was anything wrong with the bands playing the event. I'm sure they're happy to play anywhere that will pay them.

    I was attacking the P&L District generally, and McFaddens specifically.

  3. Thanks. Again though, I detest faux Irish bars. Any suggestions as to good ones in KC? I'm new here.

  4. "The name of this thing alone, makes me want to find someone with a popped collar and kick them in the balls."

    What? You don't like House of Pain?!?

    I kicks the flavor like Steven King writes horror!


  5. The mother of all Irish bars is out in Weston, O'Malley's. It's truly one of the best 10 Irish bars in the US.

    For your everyday Irish, I enjoy O'Dowds, though I'm sure it meets your definition of faux Irish.

    If you really want to try your luck you may want to try the Court of Appeals in Shawnee. I've never been there myself, but if you're really into looking for an Irish bar you may want to try it.

    Paddy O'Quigleys, as I'm sure you've found, is mostly just an Irish themed restaurant. But, it's okay for a happy hour or something.

  6. Scott, what defines a "good" Irish bar to you?

    The Gaf in Waldo is a fantastic Irish bar IMO but it all depends on what you're seeking...

  7. I have been to O'Dowd;s. I liked it quite a bit. When you walk in it's dark and somewhat small and cramped. Pub-esque. I just am not a fan of places like McFadden's where they have "Irish" items on the menu and Guinness on tap but that's the extent. The rest is just tables and booths like any other restaurant containing a bar.

    At least when I go to O'Dowd's I can get a Magner's on tap and soak up a bit of atmosphere. Magner's on tap is quite rare around here, I think.

    I'm really interested in O'Malleys and Court of Appeals. Thanks for the heads up.

  8. Also, I just looked up O'Malleys--that is WAY far from the City. I will definitely check it out still, but it may not qualify for a full night of drinking. Still, looking forward to heading out there.

  9. If you're going to make the trip out to Weston, you may want to go when Bob Reeder is playing there. That will make the trip even more worthwhile.

  10. Thanks, yet again, for some excellent information!

  11. In the spirit of Reeder, here's a limerick (though it's not as fun/dirty as one of his):

    Cordish should be forced to repent
    For the taxpayers' money they've spent
    KC's budget's been fractured
    By this manufactured
    Debacle with vinegar scent

  12. I wouldn't call Mike Kelly's Westsider an Irish place, per se, nothing beats seeing Eddie Delahunt and his band there on Friday nights for great, intimate music and some beers.

    I thought before P&L was around that downtown DID have a little Irish tradition called the St. Patrick's Day Parade, but now, thanks to those morons, it has been disastrously rerouted to go through Westport? What a cluster F. I'm staying home. I'll put on Flogging Molly CD's and drink some Irish Ale.

  13. 13 comments and NOT ONE of them is about vaginas? Come on people!