Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Brewery Tour(s)

It’s always a great day to go on a Boulevard Brewery Tour with friends! The tours always fill up quickly, but their interactive website reservation tool makes finding an open tour a breeze…. And the BEST PART of the tour is, of course, the free beer at the end! This past Saturday, we enjoyed eight different brews on tap, as well as a maibock, and “The Sixth Glass” of the Smokehouse Series fame.

Speaking of tours--I wonder if they will ever have tours of THIS place?! I ran across this really cool website yesterday as I was digging for information on the “lost” 8th Street Tunnel beneath downtown KC, MO (tunnel picture gallery). From what I had read, cable cars inside the tunnel at one time carried millions of people between downtown and the West Bottoms from the late 1800’s up until around 1950. It’s recently been re-discovered, and I can surmise that THIS would be the perfect place to somehow build a subterranean beer hall! If you know anyone that can do this, let them know they NEED TO GET ON IT! I'm sure with "just a little luv," this ol' train tunnel could be fixed up into a pretty smokin' sweet bar!

Thanks to "Pumpkin Stalker" for providing more cool pictures of the tunnel!

This all reminds me of the underground bar, deep inside the cellar at Weston’s O’Malley’s Brewery. If you haven't been, you really do need to go. How often do you get to drink in a cave-like setting?? Yet another KC-area pub everyone must visit at least once a week.

Also on this same website, the “Urban Explorers” took a sneak peek inside the old Westfall Brewery in St. Louis. Pretty eerie pictures…


  1. I went on the tour this weekend as well. That Maibock was tasty I thought. I did NOT like the tester version of the Sixth Glass they were trying. Jason the tour guide said that they had tried aging it in whisky barrels that were somehow different than the ones it was normally aged in. It was a little much for our group and I love the sixth glass.

  2. Thanks for the name of the "mystery beer!" I couldn't remember it, so I'll go back and add maibock to the post.

  3. They had an 8th St Tunnel tour this past summer. I went and took pictures, you can find them here:


  4. Thanks for posting an article that took up two hours of my day searching all of the local tunnels. Good Stuff.

  5. Going to KC in October and looking for a brewery tour to enjoy in addition to Boulevard Brewery Tour. I was hoping to go on a Monday afternoon and Boulevard doesn't show a Monday tour on their schedule.

    Can you point me to some others?

  6. That's too bad you can't make the Boulevard tour -- it really is the best one around.

    You might try flyingmonkeybeer.com and see if they have an open tour... Apparently they have a tour every 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month.

    Wes Port

  7. Thank you, I'll take a gander. I live in Milwaukee, WI and have done the Miller tour which is pretty cool, and just did the Lakefront Brewery tour yesterday which was excellent (not much to see, but plenty of good beer to enjoy!).

    Thanks again! Looking forward to visiting KC!

  8. Flying Monkey is actually now brewed by the Weston Brewing Co in Weston, MO. My suggestion would be to call the breweries and see if you can work anything out.